Advice Request Kaspersky Parental Controls or other options?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Is anyone using Kaspersky’s patental control ? How does it fare when compared to

A. Other parental controls in the market
B. Lockdown via SRP & group policy + DNS filtering to avoid dodgy sites & adult sites

Reactions: bribon77

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
A. Other parental controls in the market
I've seen many websites that host illegal contents but Kaspersky rates them as personal blog or similar categories(but at the same time Eset/McAfee/k9 rated it as Potential Illegal software). Kaspersky URL categorization is bad.
Eset parental control (Zvelo), McAfee WebAdvisor, Blue Coat k9, F-Secure, Sophos, and Fortinet they all have better URL categorization.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I've seen many websites that host illegal contents but Kaspersky rates them as personal blog or similar categories(but at the same time Eset/McAfee/k9 rated it as Potential Illegal software). Kaspersky URL categorization is bad.
Eset parental control (Zvelo), McAfee WebAdvisor, Blue Coat k9, F-Secure, Sophos, and Fortinet they all have better URL categorization.

If you have experience with url categorization software ( I don’t ), which would be your top 3 from the ones you quoted above ?

Also what about other features of parental controls , ie don’t allow installing software, monitoring of social media, block adding proxies during browsing etc etc

Reactions: bribon77

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I like the parental on KIS/KTS because you don't need to install another software and you define a password for the entire settings configuration, I use it to block specific sites and the possibility to block downloads by categories like video or executables which I find very useful.

I also remember that I tested restrictions for a defined hours or amount of hours and blocking access of programs by categorize and they are also useful for blocking torrents or downloaders.

You can independently customize Kaspersky's settings to lockdown the system this is not the work of the parental control, also I must add that the adblocker and privacy protection as plus because is almost system-wide it can block ads on edge or opera without the browser extension and prevents some tricky malicious ads that redirects to adult sites or something similar.
However I don't use it to force safe search or blocking sites by categorization but it's there.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I haven't compared parental control before. Kaspersky parental control is enough for me. I don't use url filtering, just need parental control to block some programs, limit computer usage and block executables & archives download. I have adguard too but their parental control is barely minimum.
The upcoming KIS/KTS2020 will not come with PC integrated, will be an optional module (and will be Kaspersky Safe Kids product) as They do with PassWord Manage in KTS.
Great move, if safe kids has everything i need in a parental control.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Norton Family is pretty good. That's what I use. It can be used with or without Norton AV products.

How do you find it’s filtering ? Kasperky I believe has something that allows monitoring of social media activity, does Norton Family have something like this ?

Reactions: Weebarra

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
How do you find it’s filtering ? Kasperky I believe has something that allows monitoring of social media activity, does Norton Family have something like this ?
I don't know, I never tried monitoring of social media. We don't use facebook and the like in our home -- not even us adults. :)

Reactions: Weebarra

neon

Level 3
Verified
Nov 23, 2015
I used Kaspersky Parental Control, but my kids broke this and They could use how they want. The best way is in Parental Control system like Synology has. All programs above will not give better protect and functional. For example Synology Mesh 2200ac works in bridge mode and than is able to turn on Safe Access to Parental Control. In my opinion is the best now. I tested a lot of programs and any other .
Regards

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I used Kaspersky Parental Control, but my kids broke this and They could use how they want. The best way is in Parental Control system like Synology has. All programs above will not give better protect and functional. For example Synology Mesh 2200ac works in bridge mode and than is able to turn on Safe Access to Parental Control. In my opinion is the best now. I tested a lot of programs and any other .
Regards
Sounds like you have smart kids.

I earlier recommended Norton Family, but now that you mention your experience, it reminds me of a few important points about Norton Family:
1 It cannot monitor Edge Browser. (workaround: disable firewall access for Edge, for instance, by means of Comodo Firewall, and wildcard the path, so when Edge updates, the block will still work.)
2 Put the kids on standard user accounts, not admin accounts, so they can't turn Norton off.
3 Install the browser extension/add-on for Norton Family, so it can monitor within secure connections.

neon

Level 3
Verified
Nov 23, 2015
:)
My kids also were in standard user accounts. For example they found that when change time in laptop etc than programs get crazy :) and than no check time to limit.
First thing where I install new software to parental control was that they check with friends how to break this.
In my opinion all software parental control are good to 10 years, above this make non sens using this. Excepting new way like more power funtion like in routers etc.
Regards

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.