Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
About eight months ago I bought a KIS license on eBay.
When I ran out of activations, Kaspersky support kindly reset the activation counter for me.
No more. Their new policy is they will not reset activation counter for licenses purchased on eBay. So much for my two-year license.
Just a heads-up, if you buy on eBay you can't know how many activations you will get.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
why would they reset it? you mean you bought someone's already running license and support reset the time back to 1 year? damn..
you can get brand new never activated 1 year licenses for like 6 euros, why buy on eBay?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

You get what you pay for.

Exactly. I go directly to the software maker for my licenses. Sure, I could buy them cheaper elsewhere. But when there is an issue (as their often is), the software company sees you bought it from them and there are zero questions.

Do I pay more to do this? Yes. But my time is valuable and in limited quantities, the savings of time is critical. I learned my lesson years ago when I got a license for ESET off Ebay, it was someone selling off pieces of their Multi-Device family pack and ESET expired the account credentials. Talk about a hassle!

For Fortinet, we call these 'Grey Market Sellers', they are not recommended or supported. If you have licensing issues you'll often pay the price. For example Grey Market Sellers often sell expired or expiring bundles with their devices so you lose 1, 2 even 3 months of expensive bundle licensing. If you bought it from an authorized reseller/partner, that wouldn't happen. Grey Market Selling is frowned upon in the corporate world.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
It is a good question if someone should buy a kaspersky code or not there. On ebay they sell at a really cheap price about 6 -8 euros. You can use a Kaspersky Trial Reset to backup a LIC file if you are going to reinstall OS and afraid of encountering a problem with activation. You can restore it.
I don't like a kaspersly policy on region restriction. If you buy your code in Russia and try to activate in US it gives you error like ,,invalid region,,. Yes, you can use a vpn or proxy to bypass it.
On ebay most of the sellers sell codes for a global activation or EU

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

it's usually price differences for each region, just like how Russian price of almost every game is 60% less on Steam than European.

Yup and it's annoying... The assumption is, American's can pay a lot more for stuff and have a lot of disposable income. In many cases, this assumption is true. So savvy people buy their games from key resellers for big discounts. I'm not inclined to get ripped off, especially on $60 games sold elsewhere for $19 and personally I think it's insulting.

D

Deleted member 65228

I wouldn't recommend purchasing such from eBay in the first place... It's a community filled with scammers. PayPal payment option can be troublesome for both sellers and purchasers regarding scammers and dispute cases.

You may as well buy directly from the vendor, I mean after all, you're after security... You are safer going directly to the software vendor for the purchase in this regard. It is safer in terms of issues occurring and you won't be potentially cheated off with activation timing/license expiration times.

I don't blame anyone for using eBay to purchase license keys though, it's perfectly understandable. Licenses there can be extremely cheap and you can find sales for "unlimited expiration time". However, bear in mind that such may be stolen license keys as well.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The KIS key that I bought from a private party on eBay was for one year.
When I used it, I discovered that it had 2 full years left.
I paid $7 for it. There was cheaper, but I placed my faith in a fellow countryman, an Israeli, and I decided to paid a couple dollars more.
I activated many times with it, so I don't think it was used before.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Just to clarify, by "activation" I mean to use the licence again on the same computer. I am not talking about piracy, lol.
The first time, Kaspersky support allowed me additional activations on the same computer (without extending the time). The second time:

This was the official Kaspersky response:

Dear customer,

Kaspersky customers who chose to purchase products on eBay sometimes encounter an issue with exceeded activation limit. This issue is caused by the fact that many eBay sellers simply resell the same activation code for a Kaspersky product to multiple customers at reduced price. When multiple customers use the same activation code they very quickly exceed activation limit.

In order to reset activation counter we need to get one of the following things:

1) A snapshot (photo) of the 20 character activation code on the package, as it is (for box versions);

2) A screenshot of original e-mail from official Kaspersky e-store (for digital purchases).

If you don't have this information, unfortunately, we can't help. The only solution is to contact the eBay retailer/seller for a refund of your purchase.

We are sorry for any inconveniences.

If the suggested solution did not help or you need more information, you can simply reply to this e-mail leaving the subject line unchanged.

If you have no further questions and the issue is in fact resolved, then you can simply ignore this message, and we will close this request for you within 5 days.

Best regards,
Kaspersky Lab Technical Support

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I wouldn't recommend purchasing such from eBay in the first place... It's a community filled with scammers. PayPal payment option can be troublesome for both sellers and purchasers regarding scammers and dispute cases.

Ebay, IMO is pretty much 25-30% scam. So realize you might have 7 successful deals, the next 3 are probably scams. I rarely use Ebay any longer after being subjected to a few scams, bad items, especially some fraudulent auctions last year. I don't have the time to play games with brats.

One guy ordered a brand new, sealed, nice high quality Asian Smart Phone from me. (won it at a convention) Claimed it was shattered broken on arrival but refused a photo of box and phone and the 10lbs of bubble wrap I packed it in (LOL). He tried to extort a refund then filed a dispute. Unfortunately for him he didn't understand who exactly he was dealing with. After a bit of fear put into him he cancelled the dispute, but it still required my time and wasted energy.

I bought my daughter an unlocked Samsung Refurbished phone from Ebay (or so they claimed). It arrived and it was a ROOTED s6 from Yemen. Within a couple weeks of her owning it she was harassed in SMS by several parties claiming to be US Intelligence. (No, I am not making it up, I have the text logs and photos) I traced it back to a mail drop in California, then back to a cell phone theft racket in Sana'a. Some clever 'play' I got 50% back and a junk rooted phone with a flagged IMSI that I sold off to someone else for the same price I paid that wanted a burner phone for a week traveling overseas.

Needless to say my daughters replacement came from the proper carrier.. But this, and other episodes have largely left me ignoring Ebay now. it's just not worth the time and effort. I continuously warn people away from Ebay.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
From any ebay resource or also from authorised kaspersky resellers who provide legit invoice?
According to Kaspersky support, there are no authorized resellers on eBay:

Dear customer,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately we don't have official sellers on eBay. You can purchase a valid license from one of our official distributors: http://www.kaspersky.com/partners/buyoffline or our official e-store: http://www.kaspersky.com/store

Thank you for your understanding.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It is still cheaper to buy 3-4 licences in case of a problem, than one for the full price. Your choice really.
I look here for keys for Windows, games, it lists trustworthy stores. Never had issues.
Not much software though. But good shops will refund you, in case of problems.
Code:
http://www.allkeyshop.com/catalogue/search.php?q=kaspersky

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

How I go about purchasing anything is usually something like this;

1) Find something I want.
2) Find legitimate resellers
3) Google 'XYZ discounted', check prices.
4) Google 'XYZ coupon code', check prices.
5) Buy product regardless.

It's usually a 15 minute thing. Any further time investment or seeking alternative product sources usually ends up in misery for me so I just don't bother. But that's me, I suppose it all depends on your time/money ratio, and how you want to feel about yourself. Pirating is something I don't even consider. Using free products makes me feel like I am giving up something in the process (probably my privacy), and free gives me a degraded feeling.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
It is still cheaper to buy 3-4 licences in case of a problem, than one for the full price. Your choice really.
I look here for keys for Windows, games, it lists trustworthy stores. Never had issues.
Not much software though. But good shops will refund you, in case of problems.
Code:
http://www.allkeyshop.com/catalogue/search.php?q=kaspersky
had no issues buying keys for any software from those sites, all my android security keys are from there, had to go through a few while i was testing hehe :D

Reactions: RXZ6Q and shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.