Advice Request Kaspersky problem with PUP?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

legendcampos

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
Hello guys, it is the following Kaspersky not has detected pup when checking the file pops up "reliable" I usually test puppies for this site: http://tribogamer.com/traducoes/122_traducao-do-alan-wake-para-portugues-do-brasil.html Most software detects as pup up to Avast. My Kaspersky is already enabled the PUP option.

Xzf5ykD.jpg

Last edited:

legendcampos

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
Kaspersky only detect pup's that act malicious
So this is bad, most of the downloads sites have bundled the application with some third-party software (malicious or not), which is not legal and ends up passing and possible unnoticed infection..

kJeZBU9.jpg

Bitdefender also blocks, this shows that kaspersky should greatly improve the pup's issue

Reactions: apricotbucket28

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Kaspersky does have detection for non-malware like adware
kaspersky-settings-100412731-orig.png
However, you're comparing two Anti-malware apps (Emsisoft and Zemana) against an AV suite. Yeah, Avast has better PUP detections.
However, some types of PUPs are generally not detected purposely (in cases like Kaspersky) either because it doesn't much matter or it can look critical to the user unnecessarily.

If you see, InstallCore type of programs (as seen in your screenshot) are ones that show and deliver additional installations. Not very serious. If at all a malware is delivered by them, Kaspersky knows it has its engine+BB ready for that (as a paper plan).
Besides, to tackle such InstallCore, Kaspersky has a unique provision wherein it can hide or uncheck the additional and irrelevant s/w advertised in such installers.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
So this is bad, most of the downloads sites have bundled the application with some third-party software (malicious or not), which is not legal and ends up passing and possible unnoticed infection..

kJeZBU9.jpg

Bitdefender also blocks, this shows that kaspersky should greatly improve the pup's issue
If you follow Bitdefender, its damn aggressive in blocking stuffs, though it might be a good thing in a way. It blocks the web-installer link of a USB Security product that is a partner of Bitdefender France. After I reported the issue, they immediately unblocked the link. That's a small example. Anything suspicious, it will get blocked. BD has kept things that strong.
That helps BD increase the detections but results in quite some FPs while the user mostly believes that he has been saved.

legendcampos

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
If you follow Bitdefender, its damn aggressive in blocking stuffs, though it might be a good thing in a way. It blocks the web-installer link of a USB Security product that is a partner of Bitdefender France. After I reported the issue, they immediately unblocked the link. That's a small example. Anything suspicious, it will get blocked. BD has kept things that strong.
That helps BD increase the detections but results in quite some FPs while the user mostly believes that he has been saved.

Most of the websites that earn some money to incorporate third-party software even if they are legitimate I find a wrong behavior, "I want to install a software and not what comes together"

Reactions: Parsh and Schank873
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I've always found Kaspersky lackluster with PUP's. However in all fairness, not a single one of the pups it misses is considered much more than a junk program, rather than anything malicious. This can be annoying when you go to a relatives home and find 20 pieces of junkware on them. I really wish Kaspersky would flag ALL of them as malicious to be honest, but I assume there are legal implications for that.

legendcampos

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
I've always found Kaspersky lackluster with PUP's. However in all fairness, not a single one of the pups it misses is considered much more than a junk program, rather than anything malicious. This can be annoying when you go to a relatives home and find 20 pieces of junkware on them. I really wish Kaspersky would flag ALL of them as malicious to be honest, but I assume there are legal implications for that.
True, the last time I was infected by pup most of them were Legítmos had more than 500 crap, navigator came to open alone, other annoying things, had to enter the safe mode and pass removal tools, the Zemana does not work in safe mode. So for me any software that installs other programs is given as malicious.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
If you believe it's malicious upload it to them. It's no news that an AV did not detect something, since it sig-based. You will find lots of these, that's what's called "user dependant". When your software fails, rely on yourself ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.