Kaspersky Protection vs Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristy78

Thread author
Oct 28, 2014
Hello dear all,

I observe starting some days ago, that the chrome extension Kasperky protection is greyed out and not working anymore. I did uninstall it and install it back from chrome store but still not working.
This issue started maybe 2 weeks ago. Before was working fine.
I've read it has something to do with a new (@#!!*@?!) google policy. Did anyone found a solution an this matter ?

Thank you very much .

Reactions: Kent and Ink

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
This problem has existed since Google unveiled its new 64 bit chrome. I suspect you are using the 64bit version, and as far as I am aware of, the extension is still not compatible. It is completely not Google's fault. If you wish to continue using the Kaspersky extension you can "downgrade" to the 32 bit version.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
(@#!!*@?!) google policy

Hi Cristy78. You are not alone. I have experienced what you've described but with a different extension, thought the (@#!!*@?!):mad: google policy was just as frustrating and upsetting for me. I have read about, and also experienced, a number of useful extensions that are no longer being supported in Chrome, where the developers have had to drop their projects. This together with one of my favorite apps, Sandboxie, that no longer functions with the latest Chrome, have brought me back to using Mozilla sourced Gecko engine (Firefox-like) browsers.

The following are available in both 32 & 64 bit, I cannot say whether your Kasperski extension would be available.
  1. Cyberfox, www.8pecxstudios.com
  2. Pale Moon, www.palemoon.org
Although I am presently posting while using Chrome, it is from a linux operating system, but that's a topic for another thread!;)

Maybe Opera browser (whose engine & rendering is similarly sourced to Chrome) would work better for your needs.

• www.opera.com

Reactions: frogboy and Kent

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Hi Cristy78. You are not alone. I have experienced what you've described but with a different extension, thought the (@#!!*@?!):mad: google policy was just as frustrating and upsetting for me. I have read about, and also experienced, a number of useful extensions that are no longer being supported in Chrome, where the developers have had to drop their projects. This together with one of my favorite apps, Sandboxie, that no longer functions with the latest Chrome, have brought me back to using Mozilla sourced Gecko engine (Firefox-like) browsers.

The following are available in both 32 & 64 bit, I cannot say whether your Kasperski extension would be available.
  1. Cyberfox, www.8pecxstudios.com
  2. Pale Moon, www.palemoon.org
Although I am presently posting while using Chrome, it is from a linux operating system, but that's a topic for another thread!;)

Maybe Opera browser (whose engine & rendering is similarly sourced to Chrome) would work better for your needs.

• www.opera.com

I have to disagree with you on this. Google's new extension policy was to protect everyday users from malicious extensions. Extensions in the webstore are vetted and (theoretically) non malicious. If users could just install any extension that they find on the net, they could install malicious ones by accident.

Also for Sandboxie, the latest version (4.14) is now compatible with the new chrome 64 bit :)

Cristy78

Thread author
Oct 28, 2014
Many thanks for all the answers. I do have the 32bit Chrome version. But still not working. It may not be a very big deal. Afterall the best antivirus is our common-sense But I feel kind of cheated by google. I really don't like to have thse kind of things impossed to me.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I have to disagree with you on this. Google's new extension policy was to protect everyday users from malicious extensions. Extensions in the webstore are vetted and (theoretically) non malicious. If users could just install any extension that they find on the net, they could install malicious ones by accident.

Also for Sandboxie, the latest version (4.14) is now compatible with the new chrome 64 bit :)
Hooray! I shall give it a try. I thank you from the bottom of my Sandbox(ie):p in advance!:)
As to Google's policy (Sorry, I was merely quoting Cristy78 with whom I agree) though I see your point. It's a strong one, yet I further recommend (when possible) only downloading extensions directly from the developers, though I've found one of my favorite extensions (LastPass) directs me right back to Google's Chrome store which installs a different version than described on their site.
Thanks!:D

Edit: Cch123, like @Cristy78, I like Chrome yet become discouraged by the 'contradictions' when extensions we count on to work do not;o_O and it's claimed to be for our own protection?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cristy78

Thread author
Oct 28, 2014
I get the point of the new google policy. It is maybe a good thing but I have paid for the security suite and expect to use it fully. I also disabled the extension and took the one from chrome store and neither this one is working.
So how can this be a clever one if even the Kaspersky extension ( imagine that ) is banned from working properly. It is a contradiction.

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I am using Kaspersky and never had a problem with Kaspersky extension (for the GC 32 bit and 64 bit all no problem). :) I use GC 32 bit 1 week ago, and using GC 64 bit (Version 39.0.2171.65 m (64-bit)) now (new 1 week). :)

Have you already tried this : http://support.kaspersky.com/9954#block2

I'm sorry for my bad english :)

Edit :
3_online.png

Last edited:

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Can not install Kaspersky extension to GC or GC disable it so it does not work?
Are you using Kaspersky Internet Security version 15.0.1.415 Patch B?
Try using Kaspersky Internet Security version 15.0.0.463en_6024, I use it on my main PC :) And there was never a problem but it will take a lot of your time :)
You can download it at http://support.kaspersky.com/11179

Now KIS 15.0.0.463 it's patch B :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
That's terrific, Cristy. Success is sweet!:):) ..and even though none of our instruction(s) saved the day (& night), albeit Adhit's tips were in the right direction, I hope we helped even a little by pushing you there too!;)

Now, if only our World Governments could do a clean reinstall like you did!:p:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.