Advice Request Kaspersky Total Security 2018, web antivirus is resource hog. Disabled.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

holst

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
For years MSE was used. Now using a trial version of Kaspersky Total Security since one week, due to the impressive looking security it offers, and the excellent reputation.

Kaspersky web antivirus is disabled on my machine, due to serious intermittent delays in startup of Opera browser. The same for Private Browsing and Securе Connection both are also disabled/ not used. For that I use Opera's private mode and VPN and Sandboxie when needed for bank transactions. Brave browser is used as secondary browser and does suffer barely from performance drop. It seems Kasperksy does not recognize it properly but not sure about that.

OS: Windows 7 64bit. Asus laptop, with I5 processor bought in 2012.
I would be willing to accept the delays if web antivirus is essential. I think it is not, since when malicious script or other nasties have been downloaded all the other protection modules should intercept and block the malware.

My question is: is my reasoning correct? To prevent malware, ublock origin is installed in medium mode, so it is blocking all third party frames. K9 web protection does an excellent job in blocking dangerous sites, especially sites which install pups/ adware like Softonic. Kaspersky web antivirus does not block any of these sites till now.

My question to you: is my reasoning correct? I will appreciate if others can take a look. I did a lot of research about these issues before posting, but it is always better to share my thoughts. Hopefully it can be of profit for others. I am very new to Kaspersky and my reasoning is mostly a set of assumptions, I admit. Thanks!

Last edited:

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
your reasoning is almost 100% correct but you may try other web security add-ons to see if it has same effect.
Update- sorry for not reading the whole of your question. If you have k9 web protection and find it good then no need for kaspersky web protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

holst

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
your reasoning is almost 100% correct but you may try other web security add-ons to see if it has same effect.
Thank you, appreciated. I did use other extensions like WebAPI Manager and Policy Control but they do interfere too much for my liking.
Currently only using Decentraleyes, Cookie-Autodelete, HTTPS Everywhere, alongside UBO. Testing out IDN Safe.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
remove Kaspersky's browser extension, if it's installed, it's useless and slows down browsing.
uBlock is slowing you more down than Kaspersky's Web antivirus, but if you want to make it light, disable Heuristics.
Brave is also protected since Kaspersky doesn't rely on the browser rather intercepts traffic coming through your browser.

it's a 2012 notebook, sadly not much you can do about performance.
Try to cut down on filter in uBlock a bit, or get rid of some extensions in Opera, maybe it's their VPN that is slowing you down.

holst

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
remove Kaspersky's browser extension, if it's installed, it's useless and slows down browsing.
uBlock is slowing you more down than Kaspersky's Web antivirus, but if you want to make it light, disable Heuristics.
Brave is also protected since Kaspersky doesn't rely on the browser rather intercepts traffic coming through your browser.

it's a 2012 notebook, sadly not much you can do about performance.
Try to cut down on filter in uBlock a bit, or get rid of some extensions in Opera, maybe it's their VPN that is slowing you down.
Yes it is an old machine, that could well be the culprit. Kaspersky extension did not work with Opera, so uninstalled. Thank you for your suggestion about disabling Heuristics, I will try that out.

holst

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Update- sorry for not reading the whole of your question. If you have k9 web protection and find it good then no need for kaspersky web protection.
Thank you, appreciated. My thoughts are going into that direction. When I look into the log files of K9 it is clear K9 protects me well against websites who let install exes with pups and the like.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Not the case here with avira web safety. Update- I looked in task manager of chrome and found it doe consume more memory but it doesn't feel like so as i face no lag in CPU performance. Browsing speed is not reduced whatsoever in my case.

Last edited:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Not the case here with avira web safety. Update- I looked in task manager of chrome and found it doe consume more memory but it doesn't feel like so as i face no lag in CPU performance. Browsing speed is not reduced whatsoever in my case.
according to @Evjl's Rain 's tests, it leaks memory and after extended use of time it will be very hogging.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
according to @Evjl's Rain 's tests, it leaks memory and after extended use of time it will be very hogging.
I could see the same thing happened to ublock origin with >300k filters. After an hour of watching YT, uBO used 260MB of RAM, same as avira
With <100k filters I have now, it doesn't happen anymore

It can't be fixed with avira. I reported constant CPU usage to avira and they said they would consider it
Avira Answers

holst

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
You can try norton safeweb if you find k9 weak. I have used it and have had no problems.
Thanks for your suggestion. I installed the Norton safesearch extension, then clicked on Softonic, but K9 already blocked it.

Yes it is an old machine, that could well be the culprit. Kaspersky extension did not work with Opera, so uninstalled. Thank you for your suggestion about disabling Heuristics, I will try that out.
I did enable KIS Web Antivirus again with these settings and at cold start of the browser it once again was very slow to startup, but thereafter everything was fine.

K9 is really weak compared to Kaspersky.
Using it for 10 years or so K9 does an excellent job especially pups/ adware. Your mileage may vary of course.

mekelek Mekelek, thanks for your suggestion and explaining how to install! I installed the Norton safesearch extension, then clicked on Softonic, but K9 already blocked it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
if you find KTS web antivirus slow
you can go to Settings -> Additional -> Network -> uncheck this option
this will significantly decrease CPU usage and increase speed
Capture.PNG

if your browser is slow to start, something is wrong with it
try to backup your settings and create a new profile or re-install it

EDIT: 1 more suggestion for PUP web protection
add this filter to you ublock origin
http://hosts-file.net/pup.txt

holst

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Apart for the web protection and the firewall, which I probably will deactivate too, I see not much added value, W7 firewall is good enough for me and at the end of the day all connections go to my ISP's firewall, Norton has small impact on my system. About the same as Eset internet security which I used before as a trial, but which got stuck during an update of the engine. I also like how you can tweak to your heart's desire. So far contented with this trial version. Just wondering if Kaspersky AV alone is enough for my needs and if KAV will be lighter. Still Kis is an impressive product.

Last edited:

holst

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
your browser can be really slow cause of extensions you have installed. your AV is not really responsible for that, at least the Web part.
That's right and that's why I have only three extensions enabled. Before installing Kaspersky, Opera was very fast in startup, after installing KIS not so anymore. Still after the first cold startup it is normally fast as usual.
Annoying: when Opera tries to update it gets stuck now, and I have first to disable KIS. Brave does not suffer from slow startup due to Kaspersky. Another annoyance: system restore does not work anymore. Have to boot in safe mode to execute system restore. Well, good security is worth some annoyances I guess.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
That's right and that's why I have only three extensions enabled. Before installing Kaspersky, Opera was very fast in startup, after installing KIS not so anymore. Still after the first cold startup it is normally fast as usual.
Annoying: when Opera tries to update it gets stuck now, and I have first to disable KIS. Brave does not suffer from slow startup due to Kaspersky. Another annoyance: system restore does not work anymore. Have to boot in safe mode to execute system restore. Well, good security is worth some annoyances I guess.
neither of these symptoms i'm having, i'm using latest Opera, updates just fine.
maybe your best bet would be starting with a clean slate and format?

holst

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
if you find KTS web antivirus slow
you can go to Settings -> Additional -> Network -> uncheck this option
this will significantly decrease CPU usage and increase speed
View attachment 183906

if your browser is slow to start, something is wrong with it
try to backup your settings and create a new profile or re-install it

EDIT: 1 more suggestion for PUP web protection
add this filter to you ublock origin
http://hosts-file.net/pup.txt
Thanks! I already disabled this option. Opera has delivered a new update within a week, at ghacks there were reports of something wrong with Opera, hence the new update is my guess. Cold start is still very slow but thereafter all is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.