User Feedback Kaspersky Total Security/Kaspersky Cloud Security Free

Software
Kaspersky Total Security 21.2
Installation
5.00 star(s)
Installation Feedback
Installs via Live installer with few clicks. Detects incompatible software and suggests to remove it, though it is not mandatory that you do so.
Interface (UI)
5.00 star(s)
Interface Feedback
See bellow
Usability
5.00 star(s)
Usability Feedback
See bellow
Performance and System Impact
5.00 star(s)
Performance and System Impact Feedback
See bellow
Protection
5.00 star(s)
Protection Feedback
See bellow
Real-time file system protection
5.00 star(s)
Internet Surf protection
5.00 star(s)
Network protection
5.00 star(s)
Pros
  1. Lots of great features
  2. Low impact on system resources
  3. Highly configurable
  4. Easy to use
  5. Simple and non-intrusive
  6. Ransomware protection
  7. Strong and reliable protection
  8. Blocks even brand new malware
  9. Consistently high test scores
  10. Accurate and reliable antivirus engine
  11. Effective malicious URL blocking
  12. Great value
  13. Effective malware removal
  14. Well designed, clear interface
  15. Multiple layers of protection
Cons
  1. Includes links to paid-for components
Software installed on computer
Less than 30 days
Computer specs
See configuration for details
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
Overall Rating
5.00 star(s)
Disclaimer
  1. Any views or opinions expressed are that of the member giving the information and may be subjective.
    This software may behave differently on your device.

We encourage you to compare these opinions with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying a product you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

McMcbrad

Level 23
Oct 16, 2020
Yes but you have to put whole KIS into interactive mode, can't do that just for firewall like you can with let's say Eset.
It’s even better than ESET, as their firewall is “blind” e.g not differing malware from Microsoft process. Kaspersky has divided all apps for you by groups and you can even manually distribute them. For example, you can leave trusted apps to auto-connect, blocking just few of them to stop telemetry, prompt for low-restricted and block high restricted entirely. Firewall is not related to other prompts of Application Control.

Minimalist

Level 4
Oct 2, 2020
It’s even better than ESET, as their firewall is “blind” e.g not differing malware from Microsoft process. Kaspersky has divided all apps for you by groups and you can even manually distribute them. For example, you can leave trusted apps to auto-connect, blocking just few of them to stop telemetry, prompt for low-restricted and block high restricted entirely. Firewall is not related to other prompts of Application Control.
I've tried KIS in interactive mode once but not for long and somehow I preferred how ESET firewall works in interactive mode. I liked the fact that I could leave other components in auto mode (HIPS...) and also that you could make rules for specific service and not for whole svchost.exe.
Though I agree that Kaspersky's Application control is superb.

venustus

Level 57
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Dec 30, 2012
You can edit the rights for all 3-4 groups of application control - each one of them includes a “Network” tab. You can choose to disable it completely, prompt or always allow. You can also manage it app by app.
Agreed..Thanks...But I need to be able to do this before the program connects.In other words I have to create application rules after the fact?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
Apr 28, 2015
By the way, and talking about Kaspersky, anyone knows about this service:

View attachment 251787
Yes, this is the new service (already running for some months) to send/check malware... if You even log in with Your My Kaspersky account, You will get some additional info in malware analysis You send, but not as much as the paid account :)

WhiteMouse

Level 3
Verified
Apr 19, 2017
Here is my Application Control settings I use on my computer:

AC.png

I always update software right after new version is released. I launched blocked software every hour (except when I slept) until it gets unblocked by KSN and this is my experience:
  • Kaspersky Security Cloud, Kaspersky VPN, Microsoft Office, OneDrive, Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, VMWare Workstation, NVIDIA Graphics Driver did not get blocked.
  • Genshin Impact: whitelisted by KSN in less than 5 hours. 😲
  • Battle.net: 1 day and 18 hours.
  • Adguard, Bitwarden, Macrium Reflect, Revo Uninstaller: 3 days.
The overall results are good but I except Battle.net and Adguard get whitelisted faster since these softwares are very popular. I'm impressed by how fast Genshin Impact get whitelisted, I guess Kaspersky employees also play this game.

P/S: All these softwares have digital signature so If you leave "Trust digitally signed applications" ticked, none of these get blocked.

Last edited:

F 4 E

Level 2
Jan 27, 2019
Thanks to McMcbrad for his extensive review. Like others, my experience of Kaspersky has always been positive.

It's quite light on my system and although I'm familiar with the settings, I still feel that they can still take a while to set up to my liking when installing a new version.

Over the years I've used most of the current AVs, and still hold Kaspersky, Eset, and F-Secure licences.

I know Eset is good, but I can't be bothered fiddling around with HIPS settings, whereas once Kaspersky is set up, it's pretty much forget worrying and enjoy using my computer.

I love F-Secure for its ease of set up and use, but prefer the fact that Kaspersky has a two way firewall.

Another point in K's favour, is the fact you can always get it for a good price !

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 43
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Some annoying pop ups for upgrades show up once every few weeks, and can only be closed by clicking on a "learn more" or similar button first. This happens even with news and promo notifications disabled.
Strange, maybe because I downloaded the EU GDPR compliant version where you can decline the marketing part, but I've never seen such popups.

monkeylove

Level 5
Mar 9, 2014
Strange, maybe because I downloaded the EU GDPR compliant version where you can decline the marketing part, but I've never seen such popups.
I downloaded the EU version, too.

I found this in the company website:

The popups look like the ones shown here:

There's no close or x button. You have to click "how it works" to show another window which you can then close.

F 4 E

Level 2
Jan 27, 2019
Even though I quite like the latest version of KIS, it's still annoying that there's no home button, and you need to keep hitting the back arrow to get back to the UI.

Been that way for years, but another gripe I have is that with F-Secure for example, you can right click the tray icon to check for updates.

With KIS, you have to click on the icon to bring up the UI, then click on Database Update, and another click to run update.

Not very user friendly !

roger_m

Level 32
Verified
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
With KIS, you have to click on the icon to bring up the UI, then click on Database Update, and another click to run update.
With Kaspersky Security Cloud, you can right-click on the systray icon and select "Run database update." I presume it's not different for KIS. In any case, usually there's not much need to manually check for updates.