Advice Request Kaspersky Total Security + Webroot Secure Anywhere?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have Kaspersky Total Security 2016 installed.
Can I run also Webroot Secure Anywhere 2016, with only the Realtime Shield enabled?
Or will that maybe cause problems for Kaspersky?
Windows 10 pro x64.

I have a long-term problem with Kaspersky cloud protection not working, I opened a ticket with Kaspersky support and it is dragging on for weeks. It is probably an unsolvable problem caused by my ISP. So I thought I would add a little cloud protection to my system, if it doesn't disturb anything.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I am presently running this combo and I don't experience any conflicts.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Yes Webroot will run, just exclude them from each other
I have run the two together in the past.
I am still active in the Webroot beta on my other system and with each update it just keeps getting better and better.
I'm on Beta v.9.0.8.81 I think the last update said.
I have had no issues with my setup back then and I was only running Kaspersky and Webroot and nothing else on that system.
Its Win10 x64 10586, the one before 218, I don't have it on now so I can't give an exact version.
But they should play nice unless there were some changes with Kaspersky as of late.
But just in case make sure to make backups and restore points to be safe.
PeAcE

Reactions: mal1 and frogboy

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yes Webroot will run, just exclude them from each other
I have run the two together in the past.
I am still active in the Webroot beta on my other system and with each update it just keeps getting better and better.
I'm on Beta v.9.0.8.81 I think the last update said.
I have had no issues with my setup back then and I was only running Kaspersky and Webroot and nothing else on that system.
Its Win10 x64 10586, the one before 218, I don't have it on now so I can't give an exact version.
But they should play nice unless there were some changes with Kaspersky as of late.
But just in case make sure to make backups and restore points to be safe.
PeAcE
I worry about what happens when they are both doing heuristic analysis, or both tracking malware activity and rolling it back. I would think that they might interfere with each other.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Only use WebRoot for its cloud scanning then. I think you said that's the aspect you wanted from WebRoot right ?
or did I read that wrong. Turn off heuristics for WebRoot. If I remember right Kaspersky will notify you or interact with you concerning rollbacks.
If i'm wrong maybe a Current Kaspersky user will be kind enough to chime in on the rollback procedure.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I went looking for your config, can you link me to it ? I couldn't find it in your profile.
If you have access to another system try testing the config before running it on your everyday build.
If your familiar with Kaspersky, the issues your having sound like a clean re-install may fix it.
If your frustrated with kaspersky try adjusting your config with Webroot as your primary and back it up with something like VooDoo Shield or one of the other anti-exe's. I can tell you that the current "stable" build of WebRoot is solid and reliable. You add the free version of VooDoo to that and your gonna be pretty solid as long as you dont go surfing in shark infested water with your browsing habits.
PeAcE

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I went looking for your config, can you link me to it ? I couldn't find it in your profile.
If you have access to another system try testing the config before running it on your everyday build.
If your familiar with Kaspersky, the issues your having sound like a clean re-install may fix it.
If your frustrated with kaspersky try adjusting your config with Webroot as your primary and back it up with something like VooDoo Shield or one of the other anti-exe's. I can tell you that the current "stable" build of WebRoot is solid and reliable.
thanks for your offer. I am always playing around with my config, so I don't have it posted anywhere. But right now I am very impressed with the extensive options in Kaspersky Application Control. I prefer that to Voodooshield and other anti-executables, I always had problems with them blocking program updates and windows processes etc.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
The free version of VooDoo is preconfigured now for windows 10 it's not as user intensive as it was , but like you said if your comfortable with Kaspersky it may be best to stick with what you know.
maybe try adding a stripped down software that's mainly a cloud based scanner with not much else. I will look around for you and maybe some here can suggest a good cloud companion for kaspersky.
PeAcE

Reactions: frogboy

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Have you thought about Sophos, that or Immunet.

1>EDIT: From what I can find Sophos is "not" good with Kaspersky.
Immunet is reported to be though, so maybe give it a look see.

2>EDIT I just read that Immunet will be discontinued in June of 2016 so you may just want to look around and do your homework. Patience is the key and you will find what works for you.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

2>EDIT I just read that Immunet will be discontinued in June of 2016 so you may just want to look around and do your homework. Patience is the key and you will find what works for you.
Good Luck.
actually, cloud protection is not such a big advantage, because X amount of definitions has already been released in the data base, and X amount of malware is fully undetected, and the amount that falls in between is pretty small. Since I have Kaspersky set up to put all unknown apps (even those with digital signatures) in the high restricted category, I think that's pretty secure, especially since I run my browser sandboxed most of the time.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

Good Luck.
In the end I ditched Kaspersky out of frustration and went back to Webroot + Voodooshield (as reflected in my new signature). Besides the Cloud Protection problem I had, Kaspersky also threw errors due to issues with scanning encrypted connections, and also made it really hard to use Sandboxie, and impossible to use Shade, which is a Sandboxie alternative. Kaspersky is a powerful tool, but a demanding one.

I see that Voodooshield is constantly being developed, and I am not sure it has gotten over all the hurdles yet, but who has?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Glad to hear your sorted out shmu26.
Dan is the Developer of VooDoo and its his passion, it will only keep getting better.
Safe surfing my friend.
PeAcE

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Glad to hear your sorted out shmu26.
Dan is the Developer of VooDoo and its his passion, it will only keep getting better.
Safe surfing my friend.
PeAcE
Dan probably knows me already. I bug him a lot. That guy works 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.