Battle KAV 14 or NOD 32 + COMODO vs F-Secure IS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogerius

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
My Rig: i5-3337U, nVidia 710M, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1 Update 1 (x64)

1) Which one has less impact on performace?
2) Which one is offering better protection?

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would avoid combining with a 3rd party firewall as they often cause issues with file sharing, update process of some software including Windows Updates and, or are over-complicated (ie, HIPS alerts, Automatic sandboxing of trusted programs, blocking trusted websites). Also Windows Firewall on Windows 8 is a lot better than the days of the XP-era. A lot more free and paid AV vendors are switching over to the Windows Firewall for their security products, ie. Avira.

Before buying, I would recommended trial running at least ESET, Kaspersky or F-Secure, all offer 14/30-day trials. Alternatively you can use a Free Antivirus (but watch out for the catches), or stick with Windows Defender (built-in to Windows 8 and 8.1).

Windows 8 + (AV of choice) + Windows SmartScreen + UAC (default) + Windows Firewall.

I

illumination

It really depends on your surfing habits as far as protection goes, the strongest suites will not help you if you have poor habits. That being said, if you are looking for sheer performance from your machine with as little restriction as possible, windows 8 default security as suggested by littlebits and huracan is the way to go.

If you do not quite trust yourself and or the default security, you could always try products again as suggested like Eset, which is still easy on system resources, with the ability to adjust protection.

Really depends on your uses to narrow this down.

(BlackBox) Hacker

Level 2
Verified
Apr 21, 2014
Yep my Windows Firewall Console 9.0 is not a 3rd party firewall, the issue was most Security Professionals even I came across this topic as well! That when you disable "Windows Firewall" and you only want your 3rd party firewall software such as Comodo Firewall running without Windows Firewall, the file sharing leaks through the Firewall, I did make a security fix for this a bit back now. Basically an application to disable two Windows running services including all of your shared media devices as well! But there have been loads of posts on Google searched results from other sites and stuff helping people with this one of them was a Comodo Forum!

When your Firewall is working correctly? You will notice that in the My Computer on your Network your PC is hidden!

ALLMediaServer_Network.jpg

I would avoid combining with a 3rd party firewall as they often cause issues with file sharing, update process of some software including Windows Updates and, or are over-complicated (ie, HIPS alerts, Automatic sandboxing of trusted programs, blocking trusted websites). Also Windows Firewall on Windows 8 is a lot better than the days of the XP-era. A lot more free and paid AV vendors are switching over to the Windows Firewall for their security products, ie. Avira.

Before buying, I would recommended trial running at least ESET, Kaspersky or F-Secure, all offer 14/30-day trials. Alternatively you can use a Free Antivirus (but watch out for the catches), or stick with Windows Defender (built-in to Windows 8 and 8.1).

Windows 8 + (AV of choice) + Windows SmartScreen + UAC (default) + Windows Firewall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus

(BlackBox) Hacker

Level 2
Verified
Apr 21, 2014
Nice post!

It really depends on your surfing habits as far as protection goes, the strongest suites will not help you if you have poor habits. That being said, if you are looking for sheer performance from your machine with as little restriction as possible, windows 8 default security as suggested by littlebits and huracan is the way to go.

If you do not quite trust yourself and or the default security, you could always try products again as suggested like Eset, which is still easy on system resources, with the ability to adjust protection.

Really depends on your uses to narrow this down.

Reactions: Littlebits
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.