Status
Not open for further replies.

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
Hello,

I am thinking of making a possible return to Kaspersky. In my country, I am getting it for dirt cheap price, and therefore, it's very difficult to resist the temptation. However, even if I go on to buy it, I ain't so sure if I really need the extra features of KIS -- as I don't use the following modules:

-TAM
-Parental Control
-Software Updater
-Anti Spam
-Anti Banner
-Webcam Protection
-Safe Money
-Wi-Fi related Protection

However, the only module which interests me is the "Firewall."

So, what do you guys think? Based on my above preferences, am I better off choosing KAV this time around? Or, is KIS still the better choice with its superior Firewall?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
But KIS has the "Application Control" (HIPS) which is intimate related to Kaspersky FireWall, and We could say is one of its best modules also with System Watcher... It's up to You, of course, the decision :)

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
So, I guess KIS won't harm me for 14.34 USD. It's dirt cheap for me.

@hjlbx mentioned once that it drains battery power on a laptop. I have an i3 with 4 GB RAM. But, if you disable scheduled scans (rootkit scan included), how will it still do so? Slow "system startup" and "shutdown" times can be ignored here. Can someone enlighten me?

H

hjlbx

So, I guess KIS won't harm me for 14.34 USD. It's dirt cheap for me.

@hjlbx mentioned once that it drains battery power on a laptop. I have an i3 with 4 GB RAM. But, if you disable scheduled scans (rootkit scan included), how will it still do so? Slow "system startup" and "shutdown" times can be ignored here. Can someone enlighten me?

When I played with KIS it slowed down system start and shutdown, but working on the desktop seemed to be normal. However, I didn't extract archives and the usual stuff that gets impacted by AV.

I ran it on AMD A8 with 5 GB available RAM laptop. In my opinion it was just OK performance-wise.

Why not try the trial first ? That's what I did - I ran the trial and then decided not purchase after a week if I recall correctly.

Try it on your specific system so that you are not disappointed - before purchase.

Newegg regularly has deals on KIS for 1 system - usually $15.

Last edited by a moderator:

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I have to say that Kaspersky 2016 and 2017 are very light for the system. Still didn't catch for example ESET, but after full scan and few reboots you won't notice big difference. (BTW I have a big dillema what to choose for my family - ESET or Kaspersky :p)

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
@adnage19 It was very buggy in the beginning. Felt more like a beta software until they fixed the issues with MR1. But all in all, it was a poor product. I have been a long enough Kaspersky user to state that.

@tonibalas It's not bad performance wise, only system startups and shutdowns take the hit. But you don't restart that often. This can be ignored.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

Sher,

I am running KIS 2017 on Win 10 64 Pro with 6 GB RAM And everything smooth & light here.

Its custom config -
Protection -
Disabled Private Browsing
Disabled Software Updater
Disabled Anti-Banner
Disabled Anti-Spam
Disabled Safe Money

Additional -
Threats & Exclusions - Enabled detect other software ..................
Network - Enabled "Do not scan encrypted connections".
Proxy Server - Selected "Do not use proxy server".
Notifications - Unchecked last 4 options
Reports & Quarantine - Unchecked "Store objects no longer than".

KIS 2017 running fine with no probs.

I can give you KIS legit 2 months promo keys for 3 devices. I have few keys from one of the past Kaspersky official giveaway for India. After 2 months key expires, you can activate with another 2 months key...keys working fine for me for past 6 months i.e its my 3rd key in use now.

The keys are for India so you will have to use VPN i.e India IP to activate KIS. You can use free TunnelBear Desktop VPN...it has India in the country list.

If you would like to try the keys, I will give you 2 keys...you can activate 1 And add another (KIS has an option to add 1 additional key...when activated key expires, additional key is automatically activated).

If the keys work for you then I can give you total 6 keys i.e 1 year period.

I do think & hope these promo keys have long shelf-life.

By the way, I am Yesnoo...recently changed it to Yash Khan.

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
Sher,

I am running KIS 2017 on Win 10 64 Pro with 6 GB RAM And everything smooth & light here.

Its custom config -
Protection -
Disabled Private Browsing
Disabled Software Updater
Disabled Anti-Banner
Disabled Anti-Spam
Disabled Safe Money

Additional -
Threats & Exclusions - Enabled detect other software ..................
Network - Enabled "Do not scan encrypted connections".
Proxy Server - Selected "Do not use proxy server".
Notifications - Unchecked last 4 options
Reports & Quarantine - Unchecked "Store objects no longer than".

KIS 2017 running fine with no probs.

I can give you KIS legit 2 months promo keys for 3 devices. I have few keys from one of the past Kaspersky official giveaway for India. After 2 months key expires, you can activate with another 2 months key...keys working fine for me for past 6 months i.e its my 3rd key in use now.

The keys are for India so you will have to use VPN i.e India IP to activate KIS. You can use free TunnelBear Desktop VPN...it has India in the country list.

If you would like to try the keys, I will give you 2 keys...you can activate 1 And add another (KIS has an option to add 1 additional key...when activated key expires, additional key is automatically activated).

If the keys work for you then I can give you total 6 keys i.e 1 year period.

I do think & hope these promo keys have long shelf-life.

By the way, I am Yesnoo...recently changed it to Yash Khan.

And I was wondering where did yesnoo vanish. I use CyberGhost 6 and it doesn't have any Indian servers. How will I activate it?

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

And I was wondering where did yesnoo vanish. I use CyberGhost 6 and it doesn't have any Indian servers. How will I activate it?
I have mentioned in my post...TunnelBear Desktop VPN has India server...You have to create an account & you get app 500 MB free.

Reactions: SherKaan
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.