Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
As we’ve reported to you earlier today, some of the updates that were released to users as part of the April 2015 Patch Tuesday cycle aren’t new but instead are re-offered on some machines despite the fact that they were shipped a few months ago.

Unfortunately for many users, one of the updates that experience the same behavior is KB3013769, a botched patch that was causing BSODs on computers running Kaspersky security software.

The update was first launched in December 2014, and at that time, security engineers working for both Kaspersky and Microsoft confirmed that there was an issue with this patch and suggested Windows users to remove the security apps, install the app, and then re-install Kaspersky’s solutions.

The same is detailed on the official page of KB3013769, but there’s nothing mentioned about this update being re-offered to computers that have already received it in the last few months. And because of the issues it’s causing, some PCs might once again get a BSOD all of a sudden.

Just an update rollup for Windows 8.1
According to the official page of the update, KB3013769 is an update rollup for Windows 8.1, so only this particular OS version is affected by the issue.

Microsoft itself acknowledged the issue and said that some machines could get a BSOD reading “SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (kl1.sys),” with a number of PCs sometimes being unable to boot again until the patch or the Kaspersky security product is removed.

“This problem applies to both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 8.1 editions. An installation of a Windows update typically creates a restore point to which the system can be rolled back in case the installation or the updates causes any problems,” Microsoft explained.

As you can see, there are ways to deal with the BSOD in case you’re getting it, but it’s still not clear why some computers are getting the same updates over and over again, so we’ve contacted Microsoft for a word on this and will update the post when we get an answer.

H

hjlbx

It's completely a Microsoft issue, but Kaspersky will get blamed for a "bad" product.

That's usually the case... isn't it ?

Reactions: tallorder

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I'm braced for impact... :D

When was this issue first reported by Microsoft ?

Is this the first public statement regarding KB3013769 and Kaspersky ?
I searched but could not find anything right now.I was getting a Blue Screen and narrowed it down to that update.For now I have hidden that update to see if it might have just been an issue on my machine.The only thing I could find at the moment was an optional nvidia update that I had not installed.I have updated that but have not tried running KB 3045999.I will when I get the time to sit here and mess with it

Reactions: tallorder
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.