KB3163018 Cumulative Update Smashing Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
I thought it was KB3149135, but as it turns out it is KB3163018.

Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3163018 Also Failing to Install on Some PCs

On my system:

Smashed ELAN\pointer device driver.
System Restore would not function.
Could not uninstall KBs - even in Safe Mode.
Could not uninstall KBs - even with wushowhide utility.

Had to clean install Windows 10.

How you like them forced W10 updates now ???

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
At every big updates some system will have issues, that is a statistic, nothing is 100% efficient.

To avoid that i always do those kind of updates on a clean install. Never get any issues since the launch of Win10.

you may loose 15mn restoring an image, but the update will works, not being hampered by leftovers from security softs, other programs, etc...

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I clean installed and then promptly hid KB3149135 and KB3163018 until it all gets sorted out.

Touchpad\ELAN pointer device was acting very weirdly while working in WPS spreadsheet and in reply boxes of forums.

Could be touchy touchpad - but it was never this bad. Since the 1st KB install messed with my ELAN driver it could be the KB - but also could be something else.

Screw M$' forced updates !! :D

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Had no issues myself, two of the in-laws did both on laptops.
PeAcE

Reactions: frogboy

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
So mine didn't update because update failed same as last 3 Windows version upgrades. I am not going to clean install each time it happens and then have to install and configure all my other software.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As always mentioned, everything are isolated.

However that is a problem, very unpredictable which sometimes being conscious is not a bad idea to prevent possible untoward incidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.