KDE Release 4.6.5 for Kubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

silviu_c

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Packages for the release of the KDE Software Compilation 4.6.5 are available for Kubuntu 11.04 bringing you new versions of the KDE Platform, Plasma Workspaces and KDE Applications .

More info here:

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-release-4.6.5

It's great that the Kubuntu team provide these monthly releases which are basically bug fix releases. It is also great that the KDE team take special care not to break stuff so people don't have to backport their patches. Just get the upstream release, compile and package it and you're golden.

I might just become a long time Kubuntu user after all :)

silviu_c

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Hmmm just took a gander at the site and I saw this little gem:

kernel-2.6.38.8-pclos6.bfs-1 – BFS kernel

Is that a kernel with the so called "Brain ##### Scheduler" created by Con Kolivas ? I wonder how much of a performance gain that would be over the standard ubuntu kernel.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Yes, as far as I'm aware, BFS has been the default scheduler in PCLinux since the 2010.1 release. Since then, they've always touted "maximum desktop performance" due to the scheduler.

So if you have a PC with 16 or more CPU's, the standard PCLinux probably isn't the OS you want to look at due to the lack of scalability of the kernel. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.