Kevin's Laptop Security configuration settings

Kefter

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 4, 2014
Hi Guys,

Thank you for you advise on other software I can use. I installed LastPass and HTTPS Anywhere add-in which I was not aware of before.

I am aware of Hitman Pro. I also use Spybot Search and Destroy as an on demand scan.

Thanks,

Kevin

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Kefter, thank you for sharing your configuration!:)

To tighten your privacy in Firefox go under "options".
  1. Below "Security" un-select "remember passwords for sites". LastPass shall be much more secure.
  2. Under "Privacy" choose "Do not remember history"
With Chrome use "Incognito", so all browsing history will be deleted when the session ends. It also disables extensions which may track you, so to allow helpful extensions (like LastPass) go to "settings", then >> "extensions". Make sure to check the box allowing the extensions you wish when using Incognito.

A free program that safely removes accumulated temp files, and can be used daily to keep your system clear & light is CCleaner.
Personally I recommend their portable version. It extracts onto an external USB flash drive rather than your system. Find it located at the very bottom of the linked page under "Builds". The portable version makes no changes to your system's registry.

Also in Chrome, there is a built in 3rd party cookie blocker!o_O
To activate the cookie blocker, find it under "Settings".
Here you should also de-select "Remember passwords"
  1. Scroll down to the bottom, & <click> Advanced Settings
  2. Beneath "Privacy" <click> Content settings
chrome-content-settings-png.22523

For privacy, you can un-check everything :rolleyes:(above) but do keep "Enable phishing and malware protection" selected.
3. Mark the box "Block third party cookies and site data".:cool:
*To insure removal of data, rather than "Allow", choose "Keep local data only until you quit...browser". :D

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.