Advice Request KFA doesnt turn off Windows Defender (Win 7)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

novocaine

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
Hi Guys,

I have installed KFA on 3 machines. It was running smooth and really light on system resources, but after several windows updates, I felt like the performance is going down and I found that Windows Defender on Win 7 is going to be AV like the MSE one (widows update mentions Windows Defender Antivirus). so I thought that this was because 2 AV (KFA and WD) running that caused the performance down. so I tried to turn of WD from the WD UI but always error with "no such interface supported - Error 0x80004002" so I push to turn it off by windows service. and then problem solved. the machines are running smooth again. I thought that it was common problem after windows updates but when I checked to my friends which are using another AVs (Avira, Avast, AVG), it doesnt happen. the WD is already turned off. anyone experience this? it happens the same on all of my 3 machines. (sorry bad English)

42591449_937047846493687_8097304648231211315_n.jpg

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
You have to uninstall Microsoft Security Essential aka Windows Defender on Windows 8/8.1/10 before installing Kaspersky Free.

Reactions: novocaine

novocaine

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
You have to uninstall Microsoft Security Essential aka Windows Defender on Windows 8/8.1/10 before installing Kaspersky Free.
this is not MSE, but the windows defender of windows 7, previously only anti spyware but now become AV with realtime protection. it can't be uninstalled, it just can be turned off. basically if we install 3rd party AV, it will turned off automatically, but it doesnt happen if we use Kaspersky

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
perhaps Kaspersky only disables WD once during its installation and never touches it again
something like windows updates turns on w7's WD later
because WD on w7 is an anti-spyware, it can run alongside kaspersky unlike WD on w8 and 10 so windows 7 keeps them running together

you should manually disable WD

windows updates is always toxic to me. It always turns on something I disabled or reverts some settings I changed, makes the PC unstable and slow. All my friends have the exact same complains. Disabling WU is the definite solution and there is no complain later on
better performance on a super low-end machine >>>> patching vulnerability

Last edited:

novocaine

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
thanks all, like I said I did turn WD off via windows services, and solved, but my point is that if we use Kaspersky, the WD is not turned off. it's different from other 3rd party AVs where the WD on win 7 is turned off automatically (i checked to my friends' machines). As WD on win 7 has become AV with real time protection (not just antispyware) it can cause performance issue. it should be considered by Kaspersky on win 7 installation. not every KFA user on win 7 realize that they have 2 AV running on their machines now that cause the performance down. and they may blame the KFA for this whilst it can be solved easily by turning off the WD

Capture.jpg

Reactions: harlan4096
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.