Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
After infecting speedtest.net , it's time for another highly ranked site to get compromised into serving the malicious Security Sphere 2012.
The attack was instrumented through malicious advertisements pushed onto the website via a compromised OpenX server. Webmasters deploy such servers to sell ad space directly instead of using standard advertising networks like Google's or Microsoft's.

Armorize said:
Yesterday our HackAlert website malware monitoring service told us that KickAssTorrents (kat.ph), ranked 321 globally on Alexa with more than 1.5 million unique visitors per month, is serving malware to all of its visitors via malvertising. Below is a video showing how visitors are infected

Read more

Last edited:

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Wow, i stoped downloading torrents a while back but i used that website when i did. i could have been infected with this

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
if all website like this. i'll turn off my connection for a while then go to internet shop, try many website, which i always go to there.
or, try on VM first.

thanks for share jack.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
FF + ABp + No Script keeps it at bay, as visit the site quite often, other day in fact was last and nothing come about due to the blocks. Just goes to show how this is been more widespread though, lot's of high profile sites getting caught in the trap and in turn dishing out nasty stuff to users (some of which will fall for this and pay these ppl).

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I'm curious to why he uses Windows XP. I look at it differently now that Windows 7 takes the market in users.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So even safe sites you visited regularly could compromise so a precautionary measure must needed. Its like this compromised might also widespread to other famous sites (hopefully not) if isn't take the action immediately.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
MrXidus said:
I'm curious to why he uses Windows XP. I look at it differently now that Windows 7 takes the market in users.
Looks like this attack is using an exploit kit in order to infect the users....and it seems that it isn't a zero day exploit so if you have Windows 7 and all the other programs like Java and browser up-to-datea this attack won't be successful.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Also Windows XP have a greatest number of vulnerabilities and least effective security built in.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Also Windows XP have a greatest number of vulnerabilities and least effective security built in.

Won't stop people from still saying "Long Live XP", they just don't wanna move on even though it's very viable now. Sure the RAM usage is not as light as XP but RAM is cheap and plenty of it comes with stock machines now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.