Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Despite being embroiled in a number of serious lawsuits, the controversial Kim Dotcom launched on Twitter a teasing campaign to promote a new online storage service. It ensures to be "much better" than Mega.

At the time he left Mega, a service that he has openly criticized (Kim dotcom warns mega users to backup their files), Kim Dotcom said he wants to offer a competing service. Apparently, this project is is in the making, according to one recent tweet of the person concerned.

KD.jpg

This new site/service should be ready current January 2017, five years after the police raid that resulted in the closure of megaupload.

Last edited:

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Just dont touch anything from this Guy or use anything what he does. Not like i dont trust the words or what he claims arnt true but u never know if the service is shout down the next day after u start use it. Like Mega, can be down anytime. there are much posts on the web about it.

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
In my case I would never use ... here two years will ask to make a backup of the files because the service will be terminated... I can not see the future, but history suggests the same trajectory :rolleyes:
Google Drive, OneDrive and DropBox, services that will be hardly closed by problems.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Kim Dotkom is a weird german (computer-/internet-) criminal: hacking, warez, ..., .... credit cards,
He started already in the 90's his weird career.....
The german article about Kim Schmitz (his real name) on WIKIPEDIA:
Kim Dotcom – Wikipedia

.....and the english one:
Kim Dotcom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i saw him quite often on german TV in the 90's: this guy had (still has) a really weird life ...!

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Kim Dotkom is a weird german (computer-/internet-) criminal: hacking, warez, ..., .... credit cards,
He started already in the 90's his weird career.....
The german article about Kim Schmitz (his real name) on WIKIPEDIA:
Kim Dotcom – Wikipedia

.....and the english one:
Kim Dotcom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i saw him quite often on german TV in the 90's: this guy had (still has) a really weird life ...!
I had no idea he had a history like that, I probably should have researched a little about him.
Thanks!

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Just dont touch anything from this Guy or use anything what he does. Not like i dont trust the words or what he claims arnt true but u never know if the service is shout down the next day after u start use it. Like Mega, can be down anytime. there are much posts on the web about it.
Granted, Kim Dotcom's services are offered as-is obviously, since in the end, there is no real guarantee for your data, but that actually happens with all cloud services - you can't be sure if they are going to be online the next day.

That's why, either way, you should store your files on multiple services and/or storage locations.

Also, personally, I have used MEGA and it is flawless, as far as its features and functionality are concerned. And, the encryption is top notch. Though, I would be annoyed if it suddenly shut down...

Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Once I was almost ready to purchase a megaupload lifetime membership. was so smart then not to purchase :p
I had purchased a two years licence, and could only use the service one year :(

"I'll be the first tech billionaire who got indicted, lost everything and created another billion $ tech company while on bail"

A good example of optimism :)

Last edited:

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
.....yes MEGA was a good service/product. I was looking for a good upload space some time
ago and MEGA was really one of the best..... ...i will take a look at MEGAUPLOAD 2.0 next
year and i guess i will also create an account. Maybe it's a kind of "support" for the "average" people
that are working in this company. ...but unfortunately my account means also more success for the weird/criminal Kim.... :D ;)

Reactions: Solarlynx

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Honestly the controversy between MEGA and this guy isn't really bothering to me. I still use the service for keeping my music safe on my profile. Other important things I need to download are still there. Its a matter of choice...

Thanks @hjlbx I am going to go to the bathroom and bleach my eyes now. D:

Reactions: Solarlynx

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.