JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Updated without me knowing, cannot find files.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None, as of yet.
Today my brother used my PC to print, and when I came back... Kingsoft Office was updating to the WPS Office. (annoying update request to their new Office :mad:) I figure its installing and deleteing already, so I'll just see what the new ones like... but I was happy with last the 2013 version. :rolleyes:

Now this WPS Office or WSP or wtf its called... is taking almost twice the space as the Kingsoft office, and I dunno what it did or installed...?? I looked into my program files I don't see WPS Office files anywhere, and I cannot locate anything for WPS, I only find startup items... it works, so I know its somewhere... I hate when programs just do whatever. (it's not in application data either) where the f_ is the .exe files. :p

Should I try a restore point?, or just uninstall, or leave it alone? Is this safe or malware?? I never had a problem with installing the old one, this new one put three start up items out of order and the icons take up less space on my programs list (at least their all still there) I just don't get why I cannot locate anything on my PC about WPS Office.

I could ask my brother if he hit the install now but I bet he wont rememeber.

When this pop up first showed,... I didn't know Kingsoft changed... they might want to make it known.:confused:

Reactions: MalwareT
M

MalwareT

Today my brother used my PC to print, and when I came back... Kingsoft Office was updating to the WPS Office. (annoying update request to their new Office :mad:) I figure its installing and deleteing already, so I'll just see what the new ones like... but I was happy with last the 2013 version. :rolleyes:

Now this WPS Office or WSP or wtf its called... is taking almost twice the space as the Kingsoft office, and I dunno what it did or installed...?? I looked into my program files I don't see WPS Office files anywhere, and I cannot locate anything for WPS, I only find startup items... it works, so I know its somewhere... I hate when programs just do whatever. (it's not in application data either) where the f_ is the .exe files. :p

Should I try a restore point?, or just uninstall, or leave it alone? Is this safe or malware?? I never had a problem with installing the old one, this new one put three start up items out of order and the icons take up less space on my programs list (at least their all still there) I just don't get why I cannot locate anything on my PC about WPS Office.

When this pop up first showed,... I didn't know Kingsoft changed... they might want to make it known.:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPS_Office They changed their name (Word,Presentation,Spreadsheets) formerly known as Kingsoft Office, so it's not malware related. :)

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012

WPS is totally OK, so far. It connects to its server to check for updates everytime you start it.
I remember when you install it, default install directory has some strange path. I just changed it to install to C/Program Files

You can run WPS Writter and open Task Manager and trace from where it's running with "open file location"

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPS_Office They changed their name (Word,Presentation,Spreadsheets) formerly known as Kingsoft Office, so it's not malware related. :)
WPS is totally OK, so far. It connects to its server to check for updates everytime you start it.
I remember when you install it, default install directory has some strange path. I just changed it to install to C/Program Files

You can run WPS Writter and open Task Manager and trace from where it's running with "open file location"

Oh okay... well that's good news, it did take the strange path to install, I cannot find the installed files, even with a drive search, it must have went up my underpants... lol. :D:p

I don't get why I have more room in my program list? The a-z order was scrambled a bit, two A's was below the W's. :eek: System tools and communications, were also out of proper order.

Reactions: MalwareT
Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm a Kingsoft Office/WSP user and this update isn't strange as far I know. Couldn't guaranteed myself regarding on strange directory path but the thing here avoid bundled products that WPS wanted too.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I'm a Kingsoft Office/WSP user and this update isn't strange as far I know. Couldn't guaranteed myself regarding on strange directory path but the thing here avoid bundled products that WPS wanted too.

I did eventually find the path, it was in a different app data folder then the usual. It installed WPS Office beta 2, so I tried it out... seemed slow and sluggish.

I then uninstalled it, gave WPS one more try, with version beta 3.

Works a lot better and faster suddenly... and the install path is in my program folders :)
This is the Kingsoft Office quality that I remember ;)

I don't like automatic updating "big" software programs. I'd rather run an update using an offline installer.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.