Kiwi Browser’s latest update brings Google Chrome Extensions to Android

djkwartz

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 17, 2018
Link: Kiwi Browser's latest update brings Google Chrome Extensions to Android

The developer posted some screenshots with uBlock, Decentraleyes, HTTPS Everywhere, Privacy Badger (just to name a few) installed on Kiwi Browser which is a Chromium-based browser for Android.
I've never used it before but it looks promising! This browser could become a real contender for the Android platform!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just tried it. It comes with Kiwi Store which connects you to Google Play Store

If you directly download extensions from Google Play Store via Kiwi Store then it's fine.

However, if you want better privacy, by going the harder and longer way to download the crx file from Google Play Store from the net (e.g. at www.crxextractor.com) you'll need to rename the crx extension to zip extension and then unzip it and extract the json file to install. It's such a hassle. You'll also need to download a file manager app like TotalCommander and a unzip/unrar app like RAR to do the job. Such a tedious and long-winded path.....

End up I couldn't get the extension to install..........good idea but bad implementation........I just removed Kiwi Browser :mad:

Last edited:

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I had never heard of Kiwi browser before, but I was interested when I read that it was built for speed and has built-in ad blocking. I installed it directly from Github on my low-spec Android 5.1 tablet, where it slightly outperformed the sluggish Mozilla-based IceCat in my informal testing. I then installed it on my ancient Android 4.4.4 phone (w/ only 512 MB RAM) and was very pleased to see that that it ran faster than Ghostery, which was previously the only browser with ad blocking that would function on it. Even if I can't get Chrome exts to run, Kiwi browser has finally made my budget Android phone usable for general web browsing.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Tried it. Ublock origin works well except the element picker mode. Savetube on violentmonkey worked, could download youtube videos. But didn't work on Tampermonkey. I don't know other downloader script since Inever used them before. I will test more after some days

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
OK, latest version allows adding crx extensions at a breeze. Added the same extensions (crx for better privacy) as in my Chrome browser for desktop.....some not working though

Now, I'm practising browser compartmentalization with Kiwi and FF browsers for better privacy

Tried it. Ublock origin works well except the element picker mode. Savetube on violentmonkey worked, could download youtube videos. But didn't work on Tampermonkey. I don't know other downloader script since Inever used them before. I will test more after some days
Also, when you go Settings and click on the gear icon next to the enabled 'I am an advanced user' it doesn't open

For Nano Defender to work you'll have to add the Nano Defender Integration filter manually
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I love how Google Chrome's development team said this was not possible but a single dev did it by himself. This shows you how dangerous Google's monopoly over browsers is. They try to dictate the conversation. The main reason they don't support extensions is because they know the first thing people will do is install Adblock and anti-tracking.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm getting to like this Kiwi browser more and more. It's much faster than my FF. Below are the crx extensions (for better privacy) I'm using

a) Cookie AutoDelete
b) Neat URL
c) uBO (hard mode) + Decentraleyes noop rules + some filters
d) Keyboard Privacy
e) Chrome History Cleaner (set to fastest cleaning at every 1 min)
f) User-Agent Switcher and Manager
g) Trace
h) ScriptSafe
i) CSS Exfil Protection
j) Decentraleyes
k) Nano Defender
l) WebRTC Control
m) BP Privacy Block All Font and Glyph Detection
n) Classic Cache Killer

Too bad Auto History Wipe is not working. Still couldn't find a browsing history cleaner that can clean automatically. Hope that the next release will have better compatibility with more extensions

Until the day when the Kiwi browser Web Store has its own extensions the only way to have better privacy is to extract the crx files out of the extensions in Chrome Web Store and install separately. The only downside is that the user needs to keep track of updating the extensions himself.

FI, there's an arm64-bit Alpha version in development

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Developer's version available for download now. The 64-bit version coming soon next month

Just found out that Decentraleyes extension is not working.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Kiwi browser was removed [Update: Restored] from Google Play Store over YouTube Background Playback issue
Kiwi Browser's developer has told us the issue has been resolved. The app has been restored to the Play Store, but background play for YouTube has unfortunately been disabled to meet Google's requirements. At least fans of extensions in mobile browsers can get back to enjoying them.

As far as I know, Brave for Android v1.0.92 still supports background playback*.

Edit: *in Desktop mode

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Kiwi Browser andromeda version released

Get it from here

64-bits support is now official! it's stable and will still be maintained (apk in GitHub above).

It will appear in the Play Store next month.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Until the day when the Kiwi browser Web Store has its own extensions the only way to have better privacy is to extract the crx files out of the extensions in Chrome Web Store and install separately. The only downside is that the user needs to keep track of updating the extensions himself.

Am confused. I've been using Kiwi for years now, and from the latest version what I do is to type "uBlock chrome" in Google search and then click on "Add to Chrome" from Chrome web store and the extension appears on my Kiwi Browser. It's as easy as downloading chrome extensions.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Am confused. I've been using Kiwi for years now, and from the latest version what I do is to type "uBlock chrome" in Google search and then click on "Add to Chrome" from Chrome web store and the extension appears on my Kiwi Browser. It's as easy as downloading chrome extensions.
Agreed. But extension updates will be informed by GCM. Google will have one more avenue to track you.

If you want better privacy then you extract the extension crx file and separately installed to Kiwi Browser. The only downside are it's a bit tedious and the user also need to check and update the extension himself. This is the same as Ungoogled Chromium on desktop

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Kiwi browser new version released, Betelgeuse (May 17, 2019)

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Kiwi browser new version released, Deneb (May 23, 2019)

This version includes very significant performance improvements (especially when scrolling, pinching, zooming) and minor fixes.

On some older devices the difference can be very visible.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Kiwi browser new version released, Version Eden (May 26, 2019)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Kiwi browser new version released, Version Genie (June 28, 2019)

This version supports text rewrap / reflow (adapt text based on zoom level).

+ Interface and animations are really improved
+ Better performance (new GPU driver and 64-bits engine!)

New settings:
+ Google Translate, Yandex and Baidu (Settings, Translator)
+ Possibility to add exceptions / whitelist in content filter
+ Support for external download managers
+ Show extensions first
+ Protect incognito windows

Remember to activate Hide annoying ads in the main menu if you want faster browsing.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.