Guide | How To Know if we can use 2 antiviruses in SAME time and set them

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
I've been thinking about testing out Panda cloud anti-virus alongside Avast to see how it does, some AT&T support tech told me that's his configuration, and that it works good together
yep
I already used them along with mse, mse seems to have more contro since he can access avast sand box when threat found and delete it.

no problem were found but system slowdown a little bit
regards

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Members, I have a question. Can you run 2+ companion AV at the same time? Like, ESET Smart Security 7 as main + Malwarebytes Premium and Emsisoft as companion?

If you read back the topic then you will see that Running ESET + Mbam can be done but its not advised unless you know how to.
In regards to Emisoft you could but then you have to make sure that it does not stay in active mode so turn of realtime scanning and just use it as a back up on demand scanner.
Again read back the topic.

Cheers

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Members, I have a question. Can you run 2+ companion AV at the same time? Like, ESET Smart Security 7 as main + Malwarebytes Premium and Emsisoft as companion?

Companion AVs (aka the reinforcement)

-Emsisoft, Webroot, MBAM, Immunet, Kingsoft, Tiranium, etc..
- Designed (most often) to be run alongside full-fledge AVs to support them if they miss some malwares (no AVs are 100% efficient against all threats , even if Panda's CEO said its product does ;) )
- Some of them (Emsisoft, Webroot, Tiranium) are specifically designed and coded in their core to give the priority to the Main AV and will kick-in only if a malware is missed by it.
- the others are companion because the way they are implemented and their engine designed is made to not interfere with the Main AV.
MBAM is not an antivirus.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
MBAM is not an antivirus.

Well there is a thin line between Antivirus and Anti malware.
Fact is as long MBAM removes Rootkits, Trojans and other related types of Viruses and malware i personally regard Mbam as a antivirus.
And in that retrospective every antivirus out there is in fact a anti malware.
Because they BOTH do not target a specific danger but a wide range of dangers that inter cross each description.
And as such both are exactly the same.

So antivirus or antimalware is exactly the same.

Depending on how technically correct you want to be, viruses are a subset of malware, or the two words mean the same thing.

The word malware (malicious software) describes any piece of code designed to infect your computer (or mobile device) and make it do things that you don't want it to do, such as mass-mail spam or steal your banking passwords. Trojans, worms, and rootkits are all types of malware.

And so is a virus, in its most technically-correct meaning. A virus is malicious code that spreads by infecting existing files, similar to the way a biological virus spreads by infecting living cells.
Once common, true computer viruses have become quite rare as a pure standalone virus file. Criminals have found better ways to spread malicious code by adding a true virus within a seemingly legit program making it malware however in technical terms its still a virus the moments its executed.
So if true viruses are rare, why do people still talk about them? And why do we still run antivirus programs?
Viruses were the dominant form of malware in the 1980s and 90s, when personal computers were first becoming common. At that time, there was no commonly-used umbrella term such as malware, so people called any malicious program a virus.
And the word has stuck. Although that program you keep running in the background protects you (hopefully) from all forms of malware, it's called antivirus because that type of program has always been called antivirus.

Hence why Antivirus = Amal and Amal is Antivirus.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
MBAM doesn't target viruses, unless they are from live URL. MBAM doesn't have the ability to clean files.

You are correct, its either process kill + remove + reboot or process kill + quarantine + reboot.
Fact is tho that Mbam does have signatures against some viruses commonly missed by other true AV vendors, but skipped the major bulk of viruses as they are directly targeted by AV programs, Mbam just fills in the gabs, hence why their database remains so small.
So yes MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware remove viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, rogue applications and malware.
As has been written on their own Webpage and forums.
So you are incorrect Mbam does remove certain viruses from your HDD, files and memory and is not limited to a live URL.

Granted it use to be correct in the past years but recent changes gave Mbam a bit more standoff against already infected systems prior to install. Which are usually Trojans aka Virus that being missed by traditional AV.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I assume you mean registry changes made by viruses, but MBAM still can't clean files infected by viruses.

Actually a true virus infected file is being handled by mbam as i said: its either process kill + remove + reboot or process kill + quarantine + reboot.
So technically it does not do anything just contain it, as mentioned before and on their webpage.

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Actually a true virus infected file is being handled by mbam as i said: its either process kill + remove + reboot or process kill + quarantine + reboot.
So technically it does not do anything just contain it, as mentioned before and on their webpage.
That's probably just a mistake of a researcher. MBAM shouldn't detect such a file. Can you send me it via PM? I'll forward it to Malwarebytes.
I saw Neshta-infected files were detected in the past. That shouldn't happen.

Reactions: Koroke San

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
While Malwarebytes could be considered an antivirus because of the types of malware detected by it, the scope of threats detected is limited. And, especially because it complements the detections of full-blown antiviruses anyway, so it makes sense to use a different term like anti-malware. But Emsisoft uses a different logic to arrive at the same term, i.e. the fact that actual viruses are less than 1% of malware today.

So, names can clear up confusion, or create more of it. By any other name, a rose would smell as sweet, right? It's best to analyze functionalities and compatibilities on a case-by-case manner.

As a rule of thumb, you don't want two programs performing the same task. Whatever benefit in terms of protection can end up becoming a problem in terms of performance, stability and even protection itself because, if the two programs are fighting each other, they may not be able to fight potential malware. That's why companion anti-malware must be coded to allow the main AV to take precedence. But of course, if one single program can have bugs, two "companion" programs that have actually been developed by separate teams can have a lot more in combination. So pay attention to the real-time protection you're installing, make sure it doesn't match what another program is already doing.

Bottom line, you are wise to ask here for advice. Inquire about any specific combinations you want to make, and there will probably be at least a few guys here who have tried it or can at least give you some to-the-point information.

Countryboy_MN

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 30, 2013
This is a great topic. Would you be able to use Webroot with KAV or with EAM for example? :)

Last edited:

Lailson

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 3, 2014
Use Malwarebytes Premium + Eset SS 7 and never had any problems, really Malwarebytes is not an antivirus and never interfered with any antivirus or suite.
Now run Emsisoft Anti Malware + Eset SS7 I would say it's not a good idea, since I use it once, and my laptop was too slow. Emsisoft Emergency kit is the best choice ...

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014
Interesting conversation to watch :)

photo-58989.gif

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.