Guide | How To Know if we can use 2 antiviruses in SAME time and set them

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
This is a great topic. Would you be able to use Webroot with KAV or with EAM for example? :)
Yes you can, Webroot was designed To be a true companion , if it detect another AV, it will give priority to the other one.

@Malware1: as said Nvt the distinction between malware and virus was true 20 years ago , defined by their behavior. Viruses (worms, etc...) are those who infect a file then spread to others Or not. Malwares were mostly trojan horse, keyloggers, remotecontrollers and other backdoors.

At that time antiviruses and antimalwares were specialized in their own field but now the term antimalware is obsolete since AVs detect malwares and is used just for a marketting point. Now all Avs are de facto antimalwares.

Reactions: WinXPert and yigido

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
@Malware1: as said Nvt the distinction between malware and virus was true 20 years ago , defined by their behavior. Viruses (worms, etc...) are those who infect a file then spread to others. Malwares were mostly trojan horse and other backdoors.

At that time antiviruses and antimalwares were specialized in their own field but now the term antimalware is obsolete since AVs detect malwares and is used just for a marketting point. Now all Avs are de facto antimalwares.
I'm not saying that Antiviruses aren't Antimalwares.

Antiviruses are Antimalwares, but Antimalwares aren't Antiviruses :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Indeed but now they all do the same , maybe MBAM is the last real antimalware but even it, does more than that.

Reactions: Koroke San
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
20 year ago you had:

Antiviruses
Antimalwares
Antispywares

Each detecting its "favored target"

Today:

Antiviruses do all but you still have specialized tools like antirootkits, antiloggers, etc...

The term Malwares switched to its specialized definition to integrate all kind of files that is harmful to a system.

So because that erroneous renomination , we have :

Malwares + viruses are killed by AVs but viruses are not killed by true antimalwares but since viruses are malwares , antimalwares cant kill malwares so MBAM is useless :p

FlimFlam

Level 1
Verified
Jul 18, 2014
I've heard that one can use Emsisoft Anti-Malware with 360 Internet Security or 360 Total. The new version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9 seems to do very well on it's own.Both 360's are very good also. I run Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9 with Malwarebytes Premium.Works well for me.

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
using kaspersky , emsisoft , webroot along side each other for a long time and no problem at all. you should make exception in all the antiviruses and you are good.
i'm using multi av's for a long time and there is not any problem, it's better to install security software's that are compatible with another av's(like webroot, emsisoft,...)
1 main security: kaspersky,bitdefender,eset,norton, ... and you can have 2 companion av with the main one like(webroot, emsisoft,...)

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
On way or another the general consensus is that you just do not mix anti-mal/vir/spy type of programs, and obviously Mbam is the odds variable here as has been pointed out. But generally running multiple scanners in resident mode will cause problems.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
is it bad for the disk if 2 or more engines always scanning files instead of only 1 antivirus?

What I can tell you is this :

What makes a HDD "work" is that read/write operations on it. The more there is, the more it's being used and little by little, you're reducing it's lifespan (not by a lot, as HDDs are supposed to run for years, but still). When you do a "full scan" or even a scan with an Antivirus, you basically ask that Antivirus to read every files on your HDD (or in the defined locations of that scan) in order to analyze them. Now, imagine if you have two Antiviruses doing that on your HDD constantly. Not only it's A LOT of read operations, but also, what will happen if both Antiviruses read a single file at the same time, and have a different analysis or output (IE : Antivirus1 says it's infected while Antivirus2 says it,s clean) on that file ? Conflict. This is why using two Antiviruses at the same time isn't recommended and can create system instability. Keep in mind that a real Antivirus isn't only just a program that you "install" and run. It basically "integrate" itself in core locations of your system in order to protect it, shield it. Now imagine that scenario but with two Antiviruses that want to do that, but both goes by their own way. They'll end up conflicting and creating system instability.

That's how I see it.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
May I ask why do you refer to Malwarebytes as an Antivirus when its an Antimalware ... ?

Antivirus = generic popular term for everything that remove malwares (virus/worms/trojans, etc...), not like 20 years ago when they focused only on viruses and worms

Those days antiviruses are antimalwares and vice versa

The distinction is obsolete and more a marketting argument.

Reactions: FleischmannTV

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Antivirus = generic popular term for everything that remove malwares (virus/worms/trojans, etc...), not like 20 years ago when they focused only on viruses and worms

Those days antiviruses are antimalwares and vice versa

The distinction is obsolete and more a marketting argument.

I wrote a full tutorial on Antimalware VS Antivirus that explains the differences.
If we were to go with what you say, AdwCleaner, JRT, RKill, RogueKiller, ESET Online Scanner, etc. would all be Antiviruses, while they are simply Antimalware tools, right ?

Reactions: Oxygen

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.