Guide | How To Know if we can use 2 antiviruses in SAME time and set them

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I think you miss the purpose of the topic, i made it mainly for AVERAGE JOE , the kind of people that do not care of semantics. So they can grasp the concept easily.

Advanced users normally dont need to read it unless by curiosity.

Also i just mentioned MBAM, because it is closer to an AV (realtime engine, url filter and co) , i never mentioned about Combofix, Gmer, OTL, Rkill, roguekiller, and other SPECIALIZED tools , because they are just TOOLS not generalized products like MBAM or EAM (even Emsisoft admit their product is no more a pure ild school antimalware but now an AV)

If you go purely by semantics , there is no more antiviruses now, they are all antimalwares with dozen features that qualify them outside the "antivirus" label ; but i can tell with 100% chances that people will still use the word "Antivirus" whatever you say.

What you trying to say is like :

I say : " hey guys, cops arrested that drug dealer baron !"
Then you replied: "no no they are not cops they are DEA infiltrated agents who did it"

Indeed if we go by technical details you are right but does it make a difference in the understanding of my article? I dont think so.

Btw, the differences are explained in page 2 and 3 of this thread, check N.nvt explanation post.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I think you miss the purpose of the topic, i made it mainly for AVERAGE JOE , the kind of people that do not care of semantics. So they can grasp the concept easily.

Advanced users normally dont need to read it unless by curiosity.

Also i just mentioned MBAM, because it is closer to an AV (realtime engine, url filter and co) , i never mentioned about Combofix, Gmer, OTL, Rkill, roguekiller, and other SPECIALIZED tools , because they are just TOOLS not generalized products like MBAM or EAM (even Emsisoft admit their product is no more a pure ild school antimalware but now an AV)

If you go purely by semantics , there is no more antiviruses now, they are all antimalwares with dozen features that qualify them outside the "antivirus" label ; but i can tell with 100% chances that people will still use the word "Antivirus" whatever you say.

What you trying to say is like :

I say : " hey guys, cops arrested that drug dealer baron !"
Then you replied: "no no they are not cops they are DEA infiltrated agents who did it"

Indeed if we go by technical details you are right but does it make a difference in the understanding of my article? I dont think so.

Btw, the differences are explained in page 2 and 3 of this thread, check N.nvt explanation post.

Thanks.

It's still "wrong" for me to assume that Malwarebytes is an Antivirus when it's an Antimalware. And what we are talking about right now is precision, using the right word, the right label for a product and I think that it's important to be precise in the domain of Computing Security because I guess that both you and I know that one single misunderstanding, one single wrong assumption can lead to a disaster in this domain. Your tutorial is good, I won't deny that nor say otherwise, I just think that saying that Malwarebytes is an Antivirus, when even the company itself says that it's an Antimalware meant to run alongside an Antivirus is just "wrong" and not exact.
But I'll cut it there to stop it as I just joined, the last thing I want to do is to create drama or get in an argument with the Staff here that does a good job too.

Reactions: Oxygen
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Dont worry about debating against staff members, if you think you are right you have to express your opinion and no one here will deny you this right and especially not me unless facts prove you were wrong, and in our case you are right, i dont deny it; i just want to pinpoint that in our context, the difference of term has minor influence on the subject.

and for me MBAM lean more toward being a full fledge AV than just a simple Antimalware. But that is just my opinion :D

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Dont worry about debating against staff members, if you think you are right you have to express your opinion and no one here will deny you this right and especially not me unless facts prove you were wrong, and in our case you are right, i dont deny it; i just want to pinpoint that in our context, the difference of term has minor influence on the subject.

and for me MBAM lean more toward being a full fledge AV than just a simple Antimalware. But that is just my opinion :D

I'm just someone that is very axed on details and as you know, when it comes to malware removal and using tools like OTL, DDS, HJT, etc. precision is the key, haha !

Malwarebytes Premium is seen as full fledge Antivirus, however, I expect Antiviruses to offer more features than the ones that Malwarebytes currently offer. Maybe in the future who knows. Like, I wouldn't be against the fact that this product CAN be transformed into a real, fully functionnal Antivirus in the future but for now, if someone asks me if he's safe using only Malwarebytes Premium, he's not. Even less with all these false detections with Skype, Google Chrome, svchost, uTorrent, etc. and it deleting the system32 folders randomly of certain users.

Reactions: Oxygen
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Indeed , for me MBAM is overated ^^

Before i used to clean manually infections via those advanced tools but it took more time than a fresh reinstallation of the OS.

Just backup the sensitive datas on a external drive, scan it , reformat the pc and restore the datas: 100% malware free (unless you are the unlucky one getting a bioskit lol)

Reactions: Kent

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Indeed , for me MBAM is overated ^^

Before i used to clean manually infections via those advanced tools but it took more time than a fresh reinstallation of the OS.

Just backup the sensitive datas on a external drive, scan it , reformat the pc and restore the datas: 100% malware free (unless you are the unlucky one getting a bioskit lol)

Flash me that BIOS. Hehe.

I hate reinstalling Windows in these situations. Well, I love messing around with fresh new installations of Windows you know. Installing all the important programs, settings, etc. that I want is a good thing and quite enjoyable, but I feel that if I ever make someone reformat his Windows because he's infected, it would be the same as if I ... "lost". That the malware won over that person and me and that we couldn't remove it. Hence why I always suggest attempting to remove the malware before formatting and reinstalling. This is called "troubleshooting" for me, and reinstalling isn't always troubleshooting, and I like troubleshooting (3 times in one sentence, beat that yeah !).

Chris D Wells

Aug 6, 2014
I have used multiple anti-virus programs on my computers and they do work fine together when programmed properly. Yes, there may be conflicts if the programming is not established, but it brings back to the original idea that all anti-virus programs cannot catch everything, although technology has advanced greatly and there are great programs out there. I would be the first to say "do not install/run anti-virus programs simultaneously" if you do not know for sure what you are doing. Unfortunately, I have always felt that this idea was mainly a marketing ploy, as every company wants theirs' to be the "only one". I liked the reply of combo masterchef because it did address this issue directly. Many anti-virus programs are top-heavy because the programs are installed directly to your computer, whereas some programs are light because they use the cloud (simply a offline server), to handle the programming. I would suggest the lighter version for an anti-virus version.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations,;)

What about Emsisoft with Baidu Antivirus 2014. Baidu Antivirus 2014 being the backup? Like
Webroot?

Kind regards,:)

mc anzures

Level 1
Verified
Jun 29, 2014
This is a great topic, i understand more. Should i stop Avast real time protection and MBAM "my combo" and do the scanning every time i suspect any malware/virus running in my system, or scan my system everyday?

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
This is a great topic, i understand more. Should i stop Avast real time protection and MBAM "my combo" and do the scanning every time i suspect any malware/virus running in my system, or scan my system everyday?
u can still use them. just exclude the folders from each other av and its okay. avast and mbam dont conflict or slow down ur pc&laptop, working well together.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi ! Brand new to your forum, but found this thread. IMHO you need more than just a anti-virus program these days.
I use MSE and MBAM Pro running in real time. I also use safe surfing habits and WOT on all three of my browsers.
I haven't had a problem in years. I do run some on demand programs like SAS, ESET on line scanner,AdwCleaner, JRT, MBAM Rootkit ,Defender on line scanner.
My PC is supper clean at this moment. Pick your choice of Anti-Virus and then a malware program(MBAM,AD-Aware,ect)

mc anzures

Level 1
Verified
Jun 29, 2014
I used Avast and MBAM my combo protection and of course safe surfing too ^_^, likewise i used SAS, ESET on line scanner,AdwCleaner, JRT, MBAM Rootkit ,Defender on line scanner.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I used Avast and MBAM my combo protection and of course safe surfing too ^_^, likewise i used SAS, ESET on line scanner,AdwCleaner, JRT, MBAM Rootkit ,Defender on line scanner.

Paranoid mode or overkill?

Reactions: mc anzures

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.