Troubleshoot Laptop issues

gui710

Thread author
Feb 13, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Won't POST
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Removed RAM, Removed HDD and other things discribed below.
Hey there folks I need some help...
I'm going to start doing backups on my primary pc because I only did like 2 full backups with clonezilla and they are huge like 750Gb or more each and I don't have enough HDD's to keep them.
The reason i'm going to start doing backups it's because I already had a problem wich the laptop was constantly giving BSOD's at the startup and at the time I didn't knew that I just had to type a few commands in the recovery disk to solve the problem and I just did a full backup and formatted.
More recently the laptop gave some problems like a Brown BSOD I guess (yes brown) related to my AMD drivers after that I used a driver clean utility and clean up amd drivers and reinstalled from AMD but the next day I didn't had sound on my laptop (had something to do with enumerating device or something like that) and I dicided to quit Windows and change to Ubuntu because I'm used to use linux since I'm like 6 years old and then I tried to make another full backup with clonezilla but it was giving me problems because I had to chkdsk before that and in result of trying to backup the CPU fried because I used to play a lot on the laptop at least it was what it looked like and what my technician said because the laptop wouldn't POST only showed a back screen and I did all I could do like removing RAM and those things... All of this started to happen since I updated from Windows 8 to 10.

Specs:

RAM: 8Gb
HDD: 1Tb
CPU: Intel i7 4th or 3rd gen

Sorry for the long post and my english and i really don't know if i'm posting it in the right section sorry.

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
So, if I understand well, you were trying to make a backup, but you've got a BSOD. Then there was a problem with your drivers of your graphics card, you've updated then with an utility. Then you had no sound the day after that. Then you did chkdsk and after that you only get a black screen? Is that correct?

Are you sure you've installed the right drivers for your machine with that utility (which one)?

Reactions: gui710
Upvote 0

gui710

Thread author
Feb 13, 2016
So, if I understand well, you were trying to make a backup, but you've got a BSOD. Then there was a problem with your the drivers of your graphics card, you've updated then with an utility. Then you had no sound the day after that. Then you did chkdsk and after that you only get a black screen? Is that correct?

Are you sure you've installed the right drivers for your machine with that utility (which one)?

Yeah you understood more or less correctly but i wasn't that specific too so it's my fault.
I'm looking an easy way to backup my PC but at the same time i'm looking for a solution, let me explain the problem better.
I was playing WildStar with my friends and suddenly my PC gives a Brown BSOD related to AMD graphic card I rebooted the PC and I couldn't play anything then i decided to ask my father what could i do and he said to run a clean utility and reinstall the graphic card drivers from the AMD website and i did so and after cleaning and reinstalling the drivers I went to sleep because it was very late and the next day I had no sound on the PC I Google it and it was related to some "Plug And play Software Device Enumerator" driver or something like that, even in the device manager was a yellow warning triangle so i saw that the only solution I had was to format the PC and switch to windows 8 again or switch to Linux so I downloaded Ultimate Boot CD burnt it into a CD and went to CloneZilla to perform a backup but it said that i had to perform a chkdsk before that and I did so, I let it run all night.
The next morning i went to the PC and it said to restart to complete the chkdsk and i did so but when i did it i thought the PC had crashed (It usually used to happen on that PC) and I took off the charger... Result? Another BSOD Loop at the startup... but that time i knew how to solve it i just had to fix MBR and another thing i cant remember at the moment so i went to school and when i came back from school the screen was just black it wouldn't even go to BIOS...

Note:
The program i used to clean the graphic card drivers was Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)
Sorry my bad English probably some phrases are not grammatically correct but I try my best :/
All of this happened because I wanted to switch from windows to Linux because Windows was giving me too much trouble

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.