Status
Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
After hibernating the laptop, I tried to turn it on but it is stuck at the LG logo. Trying to press F2 or F12 did nothing. It just keeps there and refuses to do anything. I noticed that the HDD activity indicator indicates that there is an activity before the LG logo appears, but after the logo appears the HDD indicator does not indicate that there is any activity. I pressed on the Escape button then the screen becomes blank and nothing happens after that. The HDD didn't have any activity after pressing the Esc button.

Laptop: LG-RD410

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
ZeroDay said:
You need to take the back off the laptop.

Sorry, I tried to attach the pic in the previous comment but it didn't work for an unknown reason. Is the bios battery here or I should take all of the back cover off?

34t5rbo.jpg

Upvote 0

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
You need to remove the other back cover too. Beneath it is the bios battery. Use a phillips head or watchmaker screw driver if the screw is a smaller one.

Remember opening it is gonna void your warranty, but if you do it carefully you will be able to restick the warranty sticker just in case.

Never really owned a LG laptop. Owned HCL, DELL and a Viao

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
If I was right about the above post, I tried to remove it and put it again but no luck. :( Anyway I tried to remove that battery and turned on the laptop, got the same issues. Now I want to know if the one in my previous post was the CMOS battery.

Upvote 0
Z

ZeroDay

If you've removed and then replaced the CMOS battery and the problem persists you're potentially looking at some other hardware failure.

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
ZeroDay said:
If you've removed and then replaced the CMOS battery and the problem persists you're potentially looking at some other hardware failure.

Oh wait... I didn't replace it. When I get one I will tell you what happens.

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
ZeroDay said:
You only need to disconnect it and then reconnect it after around a minute.

That didn't work :( I think I need to replace it because when the battery was connected and when it wasn't I got the same result, do you think the same way?

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I tried to remove the HDD from my sisters' laptop (LG) and put it on my laptop. I tried to turn on my laptop and it started up normally. That made me think the problem isn't with the HDD.

I tried to exchange the CMOS batteries of mine and that laptop. I tried to turn on my laptop and it gave me an error saying: "The firmware has detected that a CMOS battery failure occurred". So it seems that the CMOS battery of the LG laptop needs to be replaced. But the weird thing is that I tried to turn on the LG laptop with my laptop's CMOS battery and it didn't work. I tried to put my CMOS battery in my laptop and it worked normally. What's the problem then???

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is this the first time you've used Hibernation on the laptop?

Relevant? http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=125179

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Thanks for joining.
No this is not what I am talking about. The problem looks to be a hardware issue, read the comments to know what I tried to do.

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I took it to a technician who fixed it. I didn't know what he did as I wasn't the one who went to take the laptop back home, but saw an electrical tape left on the surface of the laptop which makes me think he changed the CMOS battery, but I'll let you know what was fixed when I talk to him, so please don't close this thread :D

I think that the cause of this problem is Linux as I found it from the beginning to have compatibility issues with it, so I am not going to install it again on that laptop. This thing even has minor compatibility issues with Windows 7, but most probably I am going to install it. :D

Thanks to everyone who joined the discussion. :)

Upvote 0

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
Yes i got the problem too while trying Ubuntu,B43 firmware like brodcom network adaptor may be but puppy working well,i read somewhere dell has no problem & it is correct ,I have a junk dell lappy & Ubuntu works well on that,but my current lappy is come from dead Compaq.

Upvote 0

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Never had problems with linux on laptops. Well if your BIOS was working there was no hardware failure.
And yes walt that was the CMOS battery.
Removing it just resets your bios settings.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.