Laptop updaters riddled with security holes

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
A recent test of pre-installed updater software on 10 laptops showed that every single one had security problems.

"We went and bought about 10 laptops," said Darren Kemp, security researcher atDuo Security. "And every single vendor had their own piece of software to perform software updates, including the Microsoft Signature Editions, and they were all pretty terrible."

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Recent laptop I bought had about 50 programs in it. I uninstalled 40 of them...Eventually a clean install of Win10, 5 programs.

And disabling nearly all of MSFT spying (making billions of TCP etc connections :) ), I was ready to do banking on this computer. Thank you Wireshark.

These PC's are very insecure, I may just go back to using Apple.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.