Battle LastPass and Bitwarden free cloud alternatives?

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Hello, i was checking for some answers here and around the web but i couldn't find it yet.

Short question: I need a FREE alternative to LastPass and Bitwarden, wich one do you suggest and why?

Long version: I used Lastpass for years, but i'm really bothered with the security flaws it had and their confusing Privacy Policy! It's too vague! I tried Bitwarden for sometime but despite i think it's safe and simple, i don't like 3 things in it: (i) i doesn't have that simple icon inside login/password box that allows you to easily access everything you need; (ii) its autofill doesn't work so well as LastPass; (iii) the main reason i don't like it: the vault is locked everytime i close the browser! Even if i select to use PIN or if i select to block the vault only when system is restarted, it still locks the vault everytime i close it! I lost the count the number of times i selected bitwarden to fill something and forget the vault was locked because i had closed edge after the last time i unlocked it

I tried AVIRA password, and it seems ok, but i never saw anyone talking about it. Do you have any other idea?

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Hello, i was checking for some answers here and around the web but i couldn't find it yet.

Short question: I need a FREE alternative to LastPass and Bitwarden, wich one do you suggest and why?

Long version: I used Lastpass for years, but i'm really bothered with the security flaws it had and their confusing Privacy Policy! It's too vague! I tried Bitwarden for sometime but despite i think it's safe and simple, i don't like 3 things in it: (i) i doesn't have that simple icon inside login/password box that allows you to easily access everything you need; (ii) its autofill doesn't work so well as LastPass; (iii) the main reason i don't like it: the vault is locked everytime i close the browser! Even if i select to use PIN or if i select to block the vault only when system is restarted, it still locks the vault everytime i close it! I lost the count the number of times i selected bitwarden to fill something and forget the vault was locked because i had closed edge after the last time i unlocked it

I tried AVIRA password, and it seems ok, but i never saw anyone talking about it. Do you have any other idea?
Why not host your own bitwarden server?
The hosted bitwarden has many or all paid features and none of most privacy concerns.

In my house, I use on-premise versions of many stuff including my AV.
Best way to go if you care about privacy/security.

Last edited:

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
McAfee TrueKey
Google Passwords (Compatible with Android apps)
Mozilla Lockwise (Android & iOS) - Firefox Account?
McAfee only allows 15 passwords in the free version.
Mozilla i would certainly use if it had support for other browser beyond Firefox
Google Password won't allow secure notes and it's security "is linked" to desktop password...

Why not host your own bitwarden server?
The hosted bitwarden has many or all paid features and none of most privacy concerns.
I would certainly test it, can you point me the way?

Keepass, perhaps? Open-source and free
Idk a lot about Keepass... does it have only a desktop version? Can you use it as an extension? Can it be synced with other devices?

ty all for helping

Reactions: Protomartyr

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I tried Bitwarden for sometime but despite i think it's safe and simple, i don't like 3 things in it: (i) i doesn't have that simple icon inside login/password box that allows you to easily access everything you need; (ii) its autofill doesn't work so well as LastPass; (iii) the main reason i don't like it: the vault is locked everytime i close the browser! Even if i select to use PIN or if i select to block the vault only when system is restarted, it still locks the vault everytime i close it! I lost the count the number of times i selected bitwarden to fill something and forget the vault was locked because i had closed edge after the last time i unlocked it

wait are you talking about Edge browser? Chromium based??

(i) does have it
(ii) the autfill does works i just tested FB, reddit and gmail account on the Edge
(iii) you can go to the settings change to ''Never" you can click autofill when you are on the web page without the vault:unsure:

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
(i) does have it

I'm not sure. I was talking about this icon:
1590803313460.png

Bitwarden lacks something like this. I've already seem that Lastpass, Avira and Kaspersky Password managers have it...

(ii) the autfill does works i just tested FB, reddit and gmail account on the Edge
Yes it works for some sites, but i've already find some sites that it only fills but doesn't automatically log in. Lastpass usually fills and login automatically for most sites.

(iii) you can go to the settings change to ''Never" you can click autofill when you are on the web page without the vault
That approach saves your credentials in the desktop. That can create some security flaws.
Take a look at lastpass problem with it...

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I actually feel more secure when a password manager locks the vault when I close the browser. I feel it’s a best practice.

I actually think that locking the vault is a good thing. I just wish to have control overit. If i have unlocked my the vault in my PC, it's very unlikely someone will have access to it in the next hours, even if i closed the browser. But that's only my opinion

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

I actually think that locking the vault is a good thing. I just wish to have control overit. If i have unlocked my the vault in my PC, it's very unlikely someone will have access to it in the next hours, even if i closed the browser. But that's only my opinion
You are changing the setting for bitwarden extention or application? Because for bitwarden extension in firefox it vault isn't locked if browser restarts by selecting in the setting option "never". Vault will be locked only when you do.

Reactions: Protomartyr

Cleo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
This year I've tried PasswordBoss, StickyPasword, LastPasss, RoboForm, PassCamp, NordPass, Norton and Kasperksy's password managers.
I would recommend (in terms of usability ONLY) RoboForm, LastPass, Nordpass - paid and both Norton and Kasperksy PM's - free (actually these 1 and 2 in my top 5)
I'm afraid I don't know anything about their security levels. I use duckduckgo to generate password strings for myself.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
This year I've tried PasswordBoss, StickyPasword, LastPasss, RoboForm, PassCamp, NordPass, Norton and Kasperksy's password managers.
I would recommend (in terms of usability ONLY) RoboForm, LastPass, Nordpass - paid and both Norton and Kasperksy PM's - free (actually these 1 and 2 in my top 5)
I'm afraid I don't know anything about their security levels. I use duckduckgo to generate password strings for myself.
Hey Cleo wanted to ask if you used a security key and would you recommend using it in scale?

Cleo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Hey Cleo wanted to ask if you used a security key and would you recommend using it in scale?
I did have 2-step on for a while where available. 2-step to unlock my password manager and another 2-step to login to wherever. Its the one thing that the Sophos product has going for it - the password vault and the 2-step codes are in the one app (for better or worse security wise). Using my phone with a bluetooth security key isn't too much of an inconvenience but I didn't use that method enough to have an strong opinion.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.