Solved Latest Win 8 Adventure (Malware Included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

okap1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 12, 2014
So, my wife clicked on an ad to install something at download.com and 'voila' was infected with MySearch Dial malware.

I ran MBAM, Hitman Pro, SAS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, MBAR to kill it (yes, a little overboard). Also, fixed browser settings.

I replaced AV with Avast Pro and MBAM Pro.

BUT, now have two new issues:

1) the tiles for two apps in Start Apps my wife d/l'd from MS Store no longer respond (one is greyed out). There is no right click or other delete option. They cannot be re-downloded from Store either. The Start Apps tiles that came pre-installed still respond.

I read elsewhere that Avast and KIS have caused this issue for others....

2) The Avast tray icon is unresponsive (not a good sign). I must go to Start menu to bring it up.

Otherwise the PC is functioning as it should.

Uninstalled Avast for the moment (with Avast Removal Tool) but problems remain.

So, what is causing the MS Start App issue & Avast Icon issue? And did MySearch Dial, Avast or MBAM play a role?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
My solution for this is restore ur PC to earlier state before the software my dial search was installed. Or u may try Adwcleaner
For Better responses, post the screen shot of the issues which u r facing.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

okap1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 12, 2014
Thanks for the quick replies.

Will be at the PC tonight and will run ADWCleaner.
Excuse the novice question but if I a need to do a system restore in Win 8, I type 'restore point' & choose? Also this will leave all files & apps intact, right?

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Thanks for the quick replies.

Will be at the PC tonight and will run ADWCleaner.
Excuse the novice question but if I a need to do a system restore in Win 8, I type 'restore point' & choose? Also this will leave all files & apps intact, right?
Before running sys restore, try that software. If ur issue is not resolved u may try the restore.
Restore deletes all the latest documents that u have downloaded and it performs all the necessary changes that should be at that time. So dont worry just move the latest downloaded stuffs to some where else.
Note: Please back up ur necessary documents for safety before restoring.
How to perform restore?
To restore your PC to an earlier point in time
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

2. Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.

3. Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery.

4. Tap or click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions.
For More info follow here

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.