Battle Lavasoft Ad-Aware Pro vs McAfee VirusScan Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I'm using my work laptop, since my desktop computer is broken, and it has McAfee VirusScan Enterprise on it. The updates fail and it detects tons of false positives, and I'm about to uninstall it. I have a Lavasoft Ad-Aware Pro key (MT Giveaway, thanks @BoraMurdar ) and would like to install it. However, is McAfee VirusScan better than Ad-Aware Pro in any way? It's concerning for me as McAfee fails to install updates and it seems like the VirusScan line of products is discontinued.

Oops. Can someone create a poll for me?
Rule of Thumb: Please don't mention another AV, stick with these two.

Reactions: Dani Santos

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
I used ad-aware several months ago & it put tons of junk on my system & slowed it down it took me a long time to remove it all. I will never use it again.

Reactions: vrb93
D

Deleted member 21043

I used ad-aware several months ago & it put tons of junk on my system & slowed it down it took me a long time to remove it all. I will never use it again.
You could have just possibly downloaded lots of Junk and it was never Ad-aware in the first place?

D

Deleted member 21043

I'm using my work laptop, since my desktop computer is broken, and it has McAfee VirusScan Enterprise on it. The updates fail and it detects tons of false positives, and I'm about to uninstall it. I have a Lavasoft Ad-Aware Pro key (MT Giveaway, thanks @BoraMurdar ) and would like to install it. However, is McAfee VirusScan better than Ad-Aware Pro in any way? It's concerning for me as McAfee fails to install updates and it seems like the VirusScan line of products is discontinued.

Oops. Can someone create a poll for me?
Rule of Thumb: Please don't mention another AV, stick with these two.
I know you said not to mention another AV, and I am sorry for doing so but I have a suggestion! You could install the new Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Internet Security with the 30-day trial whilst you think and decide whether you want McAfee or Ad-Adware. Then when Emsisoft runs out, you could get the one you decided to have, and do research on the two in between that time about how they perform and how they're detection results are, false positives, etc.

Rohitkumar

Level 1
Verified
Mar 29, 2014
Both Are very good Antivirus.
Sometimes more Virus found Ad Aware Antivirus.
I was use Ad Aware Antivirus Free Version

When I was used Mcafee Trial 6 months
It was even not found one virus on System

But I Thought was Ad Aware is Best For Me..

D

Deleted member 21043

Both Are very good Antivirus.
Sometimes more Virus found Ad Aware Antivirus.
I was use Ad Aware Antivirus Free Version

When I was used Mcafee Trial 6 months
It was even not found one virus on System

But I Thought was Ad Aware is Best For Me..
So you tested McAfee when you had viruses on your PC that Ad Aware/other vendors picked up? Because if Ad Aware removed them, then there is nothing for McAfee to remove.

M

MalwareT

Ad-Aware in my test scored very well, and it uses BitDefender's engine. It's lighter than McAfee, and i used them both. All i can say is that McAfee (2011-2009 when i used it) was big piece of crap.

D

Deleted member 21043

Beginning this year I got McAfee with a laptop, pre-installed.
Biggest rubbish I've ever seen, in a long time. Slow, uses a lot of system resources (If i can remember correctly), and a pain to uninstall (don't know about you, but whenever I tried to uninstall, the uninstaller froze and didn't display anything except the form window style and a title bar, and It took ages of reopening the uninstaller to finally uninstall it.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Beginning this year I got McAfee with a laptop, pre-installed.
Biggest rubbish I've ever seen, in a long time. Slow, uses a lot of system resources (If i can remember correctly), and a pain to uninstall (don't know about you, but whenever I tried to uninstall, the uninstaller froze and didn't display anything except the form window style and a title bar, and It took ages of reopening the uninstaller to finally uninstall it.
btw McAfee zero day protection sucks as well can't even protect system 32 from a a rootkit

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.