Leaked emails shed new light on Qualcomm's refusal to supply Apple with modems

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
In the ongoing drama that is Apple vs. Qualcomm, it was recently reported that Qualcomm apparently refused to supply modems for Apples latest devices. Whilst it was originally thought that the reason Qualcomm refused to supply modems was due to the ongoing licensing issues and litigation between the two companies, some new emails unearthed by Bloomberg from 2017 and 2018 between Apple executive Jeff Williams and Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf might shed some more light on the story.

In the emails, Williams assured Qualcomm it would never leak any code required to customize Qualcomm modems, which is likely in relation to the claims Qualcomm made saying Apple was leaking Qualcomm code to Intel. Williams even offered to "firewall" the software engineers who were working with the code in question. Additionally, he said Apple was planning to buy $2 billion worth of chips from Qualcomm. In return, the Qualcomm CEO asked Apple to assure them that they would use Qualcomm modems in at least 50% of the iPhones made over the next two years.

Excerpts from Jeff Williams' emails to Steve were made available, in which he said:

"In my wildest imagination of some evil intention of Apple, I have trouble coming up with a real scenario where anything of significant value could be leaked based on this code."

“I just hope the licensing dispute doesn't cloud good judgment in the team on a massive business opportunity.”

“I was hoping to keep some decent quantity of business flowing with hopes that the licensing stuff will get solved.”
Mollenkopf responded by raising concerns about Qualcomm's proprietary code and by referring to a lack of response on Apple's part in relation to earlier claims made by Qualcomm in this regard. He additionally added that his concerns about doing business with Apple were "independent of our license dispute."

From this, it seems that despite earlier claims by Williams stating Qualcomm refused to supply modems as a result of the ongoing litigation between the two, Qualcomm may have refused, at least in part, over concerns regarding its proprietary information, instead.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Apple's chip will beat Qualcomm's chip day and night. I don't really care phone benchmarks anyway as long as I don't see stutter or lag on the phone.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Apple's chip will beat Qualcomm's chip day and night. I don't really care phone benchmarks anyway as long as I don't see stutter or lag on the phone.
Only issue I found in iphone is the CPU itself, because of its huge power the battery rarely lasts more than 2 years, ideally you must replace it every 18 months.
A phone is a dumb phone if it can't connect to network when signal strength is too low and competitors can do the same with less cpu power.
I believe we've reached the tip of cpu performance but we don't have means to control the cpu heat efficiently in a thin form factor. If any OEM can ace that then even old CPU will perform almost same as new CPU w/ worse cooling.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.