vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
By Patrick Moorhead, Forbes contributor

Lenovo now makes up 117 of the 500 most powerful supercomputers on the planet—almost 1 in 4. Lenovo’s system designs are helping drive important research all over the world—the Marconi Supercomputer in Italy, Canada’s SciNet, Germany’s Leibniz-Rechenzentrum, India’s Liquid Propulsion System Centre, and many more. Today I wanted to talk a little about how Lenovo got to this point, and what it means for the company. Aside from the bragging rights, this achievement is notable because it showcases just how far Lenovo has come in high-performance computing over the past several years. Let’s take a look back. Sure, IBM was an HPC player, but after IBM spun the X86 server business to Lenovo, I didn’t talk to anyone who had high hopes for Lenovo to continue doing well in HPC.

Not that long ago—June 2017, to be exact—Kirk Skaugen (EVP and President of Lenovo’s Data Center Group) announced at Lenovo’s Transform event that the company’s goal was to take the #1 share in the HPC market. I thought the way Skaugen put the industry on notice here was genius, risky, and I appreciate it even more now we can see it paying off. Kirk’s BHAG (big, hairy, audacious goal) caught everyone's attention and gave people a reason to more closely follow Lenovo's efforts. While the details of this lofty ambition weren’t made clear at the time, we learned more at SuperComputing 2017, last November where it launched a variety of new offerings designed to further the company’s AI/HPC strategy and build out its ecosystem and reputation.

Full Story Lenovo Rakes In Most TOP500 Systems And Two Years Ahead Of Schedule

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.