Let's get a running tally -- who uses Microsoft Edge?

Do you ever use Microsoft Edge?

• All the time

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Never

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 32 50.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noxx

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
I was going to make a compare thread between Microsoft Edge and Chrome, but because it was so blatantly obvious that Chrome was going to tear Edge a new one in the polls, I didn't bother. Instead, I open up this discussion for you all here. Since evolving out of internet explorer, do you find yourself ever using Microsoft Edge? If not, what would you like to see Microsoft do development wise in order to make them a more viable competitor to the likes of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc?

D

Deleted member 178

but because it was so blatantly obvious that Chrome was going to tear Edge a new one in the polls, I didn't bother. Instead, I open up this discussion for you all here. Since evolving out of internet explorer, do you find yourself ever using Microsoft Edge? If not, what would you like to see Microsoft do development wise in order to make them a more viable competitor to the likes of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc?

I will talk only about security, i don't care about design and personalization.

Chrome by default is weaker than Edge, Edge as all Windows Apps run under Appcontainer (aka Windows' sandbox) , this Integrity Level is even deeper than Sandboxie or any other sandboxing softs.

Now Chrome has a native sandbox that use Windows' mechanisms, so a tweak can be applied to Chrome to make it run under Appcontainer as Edge. it is why i use it for now.

We all know that Edge will progressively use extensions , so in the end Edge will be as good or better than Chrome; when extensions will be available, i will have no more reasons to use Chrome.

Noxx

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
im using Edge full time on my second computer (a low spec mini-laptop) , it can't handle Chrome resources usage.

I was actually under the impression that Edge, of all browsers, would have used the most resources considering how smooth it runs, the solid security features. etc. It makes me feel even more excited about the future of Edge if they manage to keep up the momentum.

D

Deleted member 178

@Noxx
No, I just don't see running a browser that has about 10 processes per page you open up.
I have run many fast browsers that don't employ that tactic. I switched to FireFox about
10yrs ago and here I still am :) and I'm happy and that's what matters.
PeAcE

Solid logic. I don't like all the processes either. :p

It doesn't matter anymore, FF will introduce multi-process management. FF = Chrome but less good. :D

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I chose "Sometimes" too, but after reading Lord Umbra's Edge-y accolades,:p
  • "Chrome by default is weaker than Edge, Edge as all Windows Apps run under Appcontainer (aka Windows' sandbox) , this Integrity Level is even deeper than Sandboxie or any other sandboxing softs.Now Chrome has a native sandbox that use Windows' mechanisms, so a tweak can be applied to Chrome to make it run under Appcontainer as Edge. it is why i use it for now."
..me thinks I'd vote (if it were an option) More than Sometimes as I shall in fact be doing!;):D

Noxx

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
There is no "All the time" answer :D

LOL, yes, I knew few people would select it, but NOBODY? Probably the #1 complaint with Edge, apart from not having extensions implemented yet, is the page loading speed. Once the page itself loads, it's probably the smoothest browsing experience I've had in any browser. But, unfortunately, it has one of the longer loading speeds. If anyone has the opposite experience, make your opinion known. However, I have taken notice of the fact that MS has implemented performance optimizations in the latest insider preview in the form of TCP Fast Open. I'll let you know how that all goes once I have it installed.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
After test running it for a few months, I finally ditched it for Google Chrome. It's unfortunate that it cannot be uninstalled like Internet Explorer so I will have to make do with it.

One benefit to Edge is if you use a Microsoft Account it'll load your Outlook email without a login prompt.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I like browsers which are underdog from the main views of many people around.

Microsoft Edge takes my vote as 'use all the time' (Temporary change to Vivaldi just to wait for extension support).

The simplicity, different aspect of performance and good security are the factors that anyone should deserve to try it; the browser itself is no longer Internet Explorer from old age but rather revise.

Yes still a room for improvements but deserve to be in the competition.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical users = Microsoft Edge
Casual users = Google Chrome
Wants customization = Mozilla Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.