Li-Fi is 100 times Faster than Wi-Fi Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben10

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
Yes, it's time to shift from Wi-Fi to Li-Fi — an alternative technology that is 100 times faster than the average speeds of Wi-Fi.

Li-Fi is a new wireless technology that transmits high-speed data using light (i.e. Visible Light Communication or VLC) rather than radio bands.

In short, Li-Fi is a Super-Fast alternative to Wi-Fi.

Earlier this year, scientists achieved mind-blowing speeds of 224 gigabits per second (GBps) in the lab using Li-Fi. It's believed that this technology has the potential to change everything about the way we use the Internet today.
Unlike Wi-Fi network signals, Li-Fi is based on light and can't penetrate through walls, which makes it more secure from external sniffing. Meanwhile, it also means there is less interference from other devices.

Read more : Li-Fi is 100 times Faster than Wi-Fi Technology: Real-World Tests Prove - The Hacker News

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I don't even have those kinds of speed to need this anyway (only corporations could achieve that kind of bandwidth). Now if it's is more reliable (in transmission of data) than Wifi ex: no speed drops, etc, then I could certainly see using this. Wifi can be pretty unreliable sometimes especially when you live in a city (other wifi disrupts your own).

I guess to put it simply - is Li-Fi better than Wi-Fi like Fibre Optic is better than standard copper cable for internet? Not really in terms of speeds but reliability in ping and data transmission stability (doesn't drop packets in route to destination, etc).

Reactions: XhenEd and LabZero
L

LabZero

Well, the advantages are the ability to use light instead of electromagnetic waves and this allows you to free up radio frequencies and use the Wi-Fi even in places where it is normally prohibited, then the data transfer rate is very fast.
But, unlike the electromagnetic waves, light cannot cross the obstacles such as walls or anything that might disturb the light diffusion, in fact to operate, this technology requires that between devices (emitter and receiver) there must be no obstacles.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As we all know, light became one of the concept where the speed of rate is contains better and more accurate than the usual thing we have for now. So LiFi isn't a surprise move but considering numerous factor that can affect which why there are boundaries at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.