Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Librefox is an open source project designed to provide anyone with a copy of the Firefox browser that comes with privacy and security enhancements included.

Librefox is not a fork of Firefox but uses core Firefox and applies privacy, security and other enhancements or changes to the browser. The project uses the Ghacks user.js and other information to create a browser that offers better privacy and security out of the box.

The browser is available for Windows, Mac and Linux devices, and can be run on Windows without installation or with installation. The project team creates Firefox Stable, Extended Support Release, and Beta versions of Librefox.

The web browser looks exactly like Firefox when you start it; no surprises here as it is still Firefox by and large.

Librefox: Firefox with privacy enhancements - gHacks Tech News

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The thing I don't understand is why people want to remove the updater from Firefox. What's the point in that?

Reactions: Svoll

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I believe there won't be an android version because the user.js file contains many preferences which are lacking in the android version.

Also, FF itself and even with the use of user.js file in LibreFox is weak in anti-fingerprinting. There's no support of extensions like ScriptSafe, Trace etc is a real turn off.

@shmu26

By removing updater means it will not work with official FF version as there's a user.js file. With each new release of FF some preferences will be deprecated or removed and some new ones added. So users of LibreFox will need to manually download a new version with the revised user.js file

Another issue is that the user.js contains 500+ preferences. If you use LibreFox with the user.js there'll be breakages at some sites which the user will need to troubleshoot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Svoll and shmu26

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
If youre noob and cant set up firefox yourself this is the option for people like me

Needs to be updated manually, so i hope it will notify about new updates

Also there is project : Librefox Tor
Tor librefox wich is kinda scary since it have to be updated manually

I doubt it will improve my privacy at all, but im gonna test it for fun

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
The thing I don't understand is why people want to remove the updater from Firefox. What's the point in that?

my guess is probably updating might overwrite the cfg and a few of the xpi that was uninstalled.

This is interesting! another fork of firefox or is it?

At first glance it seems like regular firefox with modified default settings (would save time from setting it manually) out of the box, and a few xpi ripped out of it. Can I call it a fork or is it a more of a mod? the extensions recommended from author are another concern I have

Update: read his site, in order to update, download latest version FF, and extract to have the configs baked in and create your own librefox.

Very conflicting thoughts on this, If i am already using User.js, privaconf and ghacks, don't I already have LibreFox?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
my guess is probably updating might overwrite the cfg and a few of the xpi that was uninstalled.

At first glance it seems like regular firefox with modified default settings (would save time from setting it manually) out of the box, and a few xpi ripped out of it. Can I call it a fork or is it a more of a mod? the extensions recommended from author are another concern I have

Update: read his site, in order to update, download latest version FF, and extract to have the configs baked in and create your own librefox.

Very conflicting thoughts on this, If i am already using User.js, privaconf and ghacks, don't I already have LibreFox?
Yes, you are right on your last sentence

Reactions: Svoll

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Yes, if you are right on your last sentence

In the case, I might have what you call waterlibrefox...

I would look into it i I had the time, but I'll just stick with waterfox for now, Complete themes is something I don't want to lose yet.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    162.9 KB · Views: 309
L

Local Host

LibreFox comes setup out of the box for casual users.

I rather use Tor than this.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
While this may seem good, @HarborFront has some very good reasons on why this isn't that much of a brilliant browser if you're going to use this. You can't use Trace, Scriptsafe or even any adblocker with this. So even from there it;s a turn off to use.

~LDogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.