LibreOffice 7.3 review - Not a turning point

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 61
Thread author
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
5,047
Conclusion

Do I feel unhappy today, or what. LibreOffice 7.3 sure didn't deliver. There are tons of problems here, including some old, outstanding, almost stubborn choices and decisions that only harm LibreOffice and its users. The only benefactor from LibreOffice not rendering Microsoft Office files properly is Microsoft, because people are forced to remain locked in the ecosystem with no viable alternative. Ideology won't sway businesses, and so the only thing left for ordinary users is to compromise. With me looking to leave the world of Windows, this only makes matters worse.

And y'know, the biggest issue with LibreOffice isn't so much the functionality parity or lack thereof, or the visual bugs and problems, or even performance problems, or any of the stuff I've been complaining about for the past decade. The big problem is the lack of consistency in the user experience. If I grab half a dozen files, save them, then try to open them in one version of the office suite and six months after that in another, and the results are so vastly different, then I have no foundation, no baseline to work with. I'm left with nothing.

Anyway, this does not bode well for LibreOffice. Yes, it works. 93% of the time, it delivers results. Perhaps not in the best, most elegant way, but you can sort of get along. But the remaining 7% are a total, wild gamble. That's where everything falls apart. That would be LibreOffice 7.3, and that would be the end of this article. I was hoping for more, but then, it's my fault to have hoped in the first place, it seems.
 

Chuck57

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
319
Ninety-nine percent of my usage is word processing, and I've dumped LibreOffice for Atlantis Word Processor, an excellent piece of software. I also have WPS Office which seems to do the one percent of other things I require, on rare occasion, much better than LibreOffice. It's compatibility with Micro$oft Office also seems much better.

LibreOffice has, through the years, been a blessing usually followed by a curse. Consistency from release to release is just too erratic.