New Update LibreWolf Browser - A fork of Firefox, focused on privacy, security and freedom

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Upcoming..................... It'll be great if it can replace FF

Homepage

LibreWolf Browser
A fork of Firefox, focused on privacy, security and freedom.

1593221685364.png

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
ghacks template breaks a lot of functionality. If it's already implemented natively without consulting the user first it's going to be one frustrating browser to use.
I believe you can edit the preference settings for a relax browser like this redditer below....................in which case your privacy/security won't be the best as expected of the browser. I believe he must be using the Linux version for the Windows version is not ready

I don't like some of the default (about:config) settings on librewolf, it's too aggressive from a privacy perspective as a daily browser, so I had to revert some of those (like privacy.resistFingerprinting, and privacy.clearOnShutdown.cookies ; it's no fun to start the browser windowed, and have to re-login to each website every time).

Unquote

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Please not another non-maintained fork.

Also I wonder why they choice Firefox if they want security.

And just adding extensions or changing browser settings doesn't help
Same like why people fork Chromium.

Yes, the previous LibreFox was not maintainted. In fact, the now LibreWolf is the successor to the earlier LibreFox

The version v2.1 was released some years back with the gHacks/pyllyukko base at v64. The gHacks-user.js version now is v77 keeping inline with FF release

Changelog for LibreFox v2.1 (FF v64.0)

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Wish it was on Chromium, because FF is still far away with their own engine on mobiles.
FYI, FF Preview will be adding 3 more add-ons

Firefox Preview has only received a significant update with version 5.2 with improved tab management and voice search a few days ago, but Mozilla is already working on the next feature-filled update. The unstable Nightly now supports three new add-ons and sees smaller refinements to the three-button overflow menu. The dead-space custom tab bug that's plaguing the current Firefox Preview build is also nowhere to be seen.

The three new extensions in question are the privacy tool Decentraleyes, tracking blocker Privacy Possum, and YouTube High Definition, a simple tool forcing HD on YouTube videos and bringing overall enhancements to the website. Other than that, the overflow menu has seen small improvements. There's now an always-visible Synced tabs shortcut for quick access to sites opened in other Firefox instances, and the Add-ons shortcut has an arrow, indicating that you open another overflow menu when you tap it. To my delight, the Nightly release also got rid of some dead space in custom tabs that's currently plaguing the more stable preview build.

Read more here

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

I managed to launch LibreWolf in Linux Mint Mate (in VB) using command line but don't know how to save it to the desktop as an icon (or shortcut) for launch. See picture below

LibreWolf.png

The problme is that I must keep the terminal open. If terminal is close then LibreWolf also closes. The next time to open it I'll need to open terminal and key in the commands again. I need to get it installed instead of just launching...................

Any Linux user here can help?

Last edited:

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
I used Librefox config until Mozilla launched Firefox version 77. I only had a few problems with the configuration. With version 77 I had a lot of issues and switch back to the ghacks config and some custom setting.

I will surely test LibreWolf.

In term of privacy, Firefox is still beter than Chrome builds. Irridium and UnGoogledChrome are close.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
LibreWolf Experimental Build v85.0.2-1 is now available for Windows. Trying it now.

Default screenshot

1613956206127.png

After installing extensions you get this blue-dot prompt indicating that there's an update to the extensions which is incorrect as I have just installed the extensions which are the latest. Just exit the page and come back again, and they'll show correctly without the blue dots.

1613959372147.png

Well, this is still an experimental build so expect some bugs

Note that with LibreWolf all cookie-controlled extensions (eg. Cookie AutoDelete, Foregt Me Not etc) would not be useful as ALL cookies are cleared on exit as explained below. Also, FF Multi-Account Containers cannot save the password of a site after you exit the browser as the cookies are deleted. You'll need to sign in again

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
As LibreWolf browser is a hardened FF browser many of the settings in its about:config are locked from users. Below is a comparison of the two browsers' settings - LibreWolf is on the left and FF on the right

1613979302476.png

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Mine is ok. Why is yours missing the General, Home, Search and Privacy & Security wordings on the top left side and the Extensions & Themes and LibreWolf Support wordings on the bottom left side?

1614349360295.png

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 78429

Mine is ok. Why is yours missing the General, Home, Search and Privacy & Security wordings on the top left side and the Extensions & Themes and LibreWolf Support wordings on the bottom left side?
Are you on linux or windows? They were automatically adjusted. Because screen size is low (15 inch Laptop) and both windows were opened side by side.
LibreWolf processes are fully signed by owner/developer ?
Don't know about processes but installer isn't signed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.