Battle Lightest when comparing Avira vs Bitdefender vs Kaspersky?

Willams

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2015
Avira , Kaspersky or Bitdefender .In your opinion , what is the lightest?
Currently already I use Avira but I'm thinking of switching to Kaspersky .

Reactions: Jrs30

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Avira is the only one with a free antivirus that works on all Windows OS
Bitdefender free doesn't have support for Windows 10
There's a Kaspersky free, but they still haven't make an english version

If you want a free antivirus, it's important to know that information.

Now regarding a paid version. I would recommend you take the time to trial each of them, then decide which one you feel is not just lighter but also compliments your own browsing habits.

From experience, Kaspersky is lighter than Bitdefender. But I haven't try Avira so I can't comment on that one.

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
In terms of "lightness"? You must have one heck of a computer for it to not matter. :D
lol :D . I think he's the lightest of the three, I think the heavy Bitdefender, on my machine it did not behave well when tested it

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Well, when talking about RAM consuming, it's imperative to know what machine you are using. I think the one that consumes the most is BitDefender, followed by Kaspersky. I'd choose Avira if i were looking for lightness, Kaspersky or BitDefender if looking for protection.

Reactions: Venustus
D

Deleted member 2913

Lightness is something better to try & check on your system.

Of the 3 I would say Kaspersky is light enough with effective protection.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thread moved to War Room.

Depending on your hardware specification, software may run better on higher performance parts and use an SSD instead of a HDD.

Reactions: safe1st

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avira maintains the optimization even though they add some processes, for sure those possible additional bootup are already improved from numerous versions.

Meanwhile their free version of Bitdefender is way simple so the resources isn't sacrifice much. On the other hand Kasperksy may have different perspective operation through system to system so mix reaction about lightest.

At the end of day, 'lightest' of a product is a least priority on majority of users where prevention and detection remains to be the number one need.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Is this for AV version or for IS versions?
In my experience, Avira has been the least resource consumption solution, out of the 3 listed.
Kaspersky has a busier CPU when the scans run in the background, however BitDefender somehow makes the system slightly slower compared to Kaspersky. Bare in mind that on an High End system, the resource usage is not that noticeable.

If your system is not High End and you are focusing on resources, then stick to Avira.

If you want more features and protections, then thats a different story, but original post should be edited to reflect such request.

Reactions: Rishi and safe1st

Freakj

Feb 14, 2016
I was a Kaspersky user since 2008 but in the latest versions (with my 4gb) it consume a lot of memory while running.

So I were 1 year switching AV and IS to find my favorite. Then I found Bitdefender. Im loving it.

I used Avira but it was not light a few years ago.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Avira would be the lightest without the launcher, Bitdefender was always heavy and Kaspersky I found slow to boot in my VM, however no slowdowns after that.

Reactions: frogboy

shootfire

Level 1
Verified
Feb 6, 2016
Avira is lightest based on my tests, using between 50-60MB at idle. Kaspersky is next, using 70-100 at idle. Bitdefender as usual uses almost 200MB at idle (as much as McAfee!). As far as subjective "lightness" tests, I sense the least slow down with Avira, followed by Bitdefender, with Kaspersky feeling the most sluggish (which is not bad compared to some others). Personally I won't use Bitdefender products (or Mcafee) simply because they use so much private memory at idle. I'd go with Avira Pro in your case. :)

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Faster(higher is better)
Avira>Kaspersky>Bitdefender
Detection(higher is better)
Bitdefender>Kaspersky>Avira
Fp(higher is better)
Kasppersky>Avira>Bitdefender
Proactive Defense(higher is better)
Kaspersky>Bitdefender>Avira
I go with Kaspersky.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.