Battle Lightest when comparing Avira vs Bitdefender vs Kaspersky?

Willams

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2015
Avira , Kaspersky or Bitdefender .In your opinion , what is the lightest?
Currently already I use Avira but I'm thinking of switching to Kaspersky .

Reactions: Jrs30

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Avira is lightest based on my tests, using between 50-60MB at idle. Kaspersky is next, using 70-100 at idle. Bitdefender as usual uses almost 200MB at idle (as much as McAfee!). As far as subjective "lightness" tests, I sense the least slow down with Avira, followed by Bitdefender, with Kaspersky feeling the most sluggish (which is not bad compared to some others). Personally I won't use Bitdefender products (or Mcafee) simply because they use so much private memory at idle. I'd go with Avira Pro in your case. :)
In my systen Kaspersky use 55 Mb ram....

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Avira. Left is Private Bytes and on the right is Working Set in Sysinternals Process Explorer

AV2.jpg

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
In terms of lightness Avira i think is lighter followed by Kaspersky and last is BD.
A few months back i tried Avira Pro and it was light on my system.
On the other hand when i tried BD not only it was using about 270 MB of RAM but immediately i noticed that my browsing became slow.
About KIS which i use it right now the 2016 version is very light.No slowdown in browsing and it uses about 40-50 MB of RAM.
But KIS added a few seconds in boot time and shut down time but you hardly notice it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.