Like But Hate Chrome and Firefox? Check out These Alternatives!

Which Browser You Like Best (Choose One For Chrome and one for Firefox)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
If you like Chrome’s speed and simplicity, but disgust at Google tracking you, or Firefox’s addons and tweaks but hate the Australis, here are some alternatives to these two browsers that borrow the parent browser’s stuff, but fix the bad parts.

Best Firefox Alternatives:

1. Pale Moon

Pale Moon is my favorite alternative to Firefox. Like Chromium is to Chrome, Pale Moon is a slimmed down version of Firefox, focusing on speed more than tweaking, however, it still has the giant about:config tweaks and a large collection of Firefox addons, so what’s not to like to this speed demon? Oh, and no Australis! Yay :p

2. Waterfox

Umm… Err… Did I mention that Firefox has no 64 bit version? Whatttt :eek:

Waterfox comes to the rescue with a 64-bit Firefox, and nothing else. Same version, but 64 bit. Right now there’s no Australis, but it probably will follow suit, but just downloading it for the 64-bit fun would be worth it!

3. Comodo IceDragon

Comodo is your friend when it is lockdown time! IceDragon is a lock down version of Firefox and it works! The awesome interface, tons of addons, and tons of borrowed tweaks are still in. Again, Australis is not included!

What Not To Use:

-Flock It’s discontinued, period.

Best Chrome Alternatives:

1. Chromium Builds

Chromium isn’t based on Chrome, it’s vice versa, so applaud to the granddaddy of them all :D

You aren’t going to get PPAPI Flash and PDF Reader and missing out on Auto-Update, but it’s small price to pay for a nice, slimmed-down version of Chrome.

2. Maxthon Cloud Browser

This chinese browser is packed with tons of goodies, like screen capture and calculator, and includes lightning-fast surfing, and it’s the HTML5 king, even beating Chrome! There’s no auto-update but it’s not needed as Maxthon doesn’t update their browser often. There’s also built-in and auto-on IE Tab so every website is viewable!

3. Opera (Update v1.1)
When Opera announced its decision to be based on Chromium, a lot of people got a big shock. But.. Opera is still quite good, with unique things like Off-Road Mode and I like the interface much better than Chrome. Although it's not exactly like Opera 12, it's still Opera... and it's enough for me!

4. Yandex.Browser (Update v1.1)
This browser, developed by Russian Search Engine Yandex, offers lightning fast Chrome speed while creating a much more modern and slim user interface. I like that Yandex.Browser doesn't push Yandex as the default browser, in fact, Google is the default browser! All extensions and settings will be automatically transferred from Google Chrome

What Not To Use:

-SRWare Iron: SRware Iron simply is a scam for the developer to make money. The developer simply wants to gain fame so people will want to visit his site so he makes money, from Google’s Adsense! All the features can simply be disabled in the settings if you need to, but the “so-called features” actually aren’t for Google to track you. Pulling out the Auto-Update was simply nonsense, it’s open-source and what the heck would Google track you with an Updater? How fast you click “Yes”? How fast is your connection speed? Which version of Chrome you’re using? See more here.

-360 Safe Browser: It's fishy: It will bundle itself with 360 products, very hard to uninstall, will block other programs from becoming the default, and 360 TS will display constant popups to install this. Read more here.

-Flock 2: Discontinued as far as I know

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
How could you forgot it??? ;):)
You could also add torch as a chrome alternative

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Holysmoke

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
why do you guys like Opera?

my concern with running Waterfox is that MBAE will not shield it like it does ff also KIS extensions will not install into waterfox

Reactions: kev216

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014

Waterfox confuses me below

• Do all my add-ons and plugins work?
    Your add-ons/extensions work on any version of Firefox, on any platform! That means they all work with Waterfox. On the other hand, only 64-Bit plugins work with Waterfox and as of now those are: Adobe Flash, Oracle Java and Microsoft Silverlight.
Waterfox is 64-bit, so it's only compatible with 64-bit plugins, not 32-bit ones, If you only use Flash, Java, and Silverlight, it's okay.

Reactions: kev216

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Yes, Opera is'nt like opera 12, but in further releases we will get a fantastic bookmark manager, so i'll stick with opera. It's only getting better and better.

Holysmoke

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
My main concern for a browser is stopping trackers and spying and exploits.

thats why I use ff with ABE with ultimate list and malware domains.

does Opera have the ability to stop tracking and spying like ff?

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014

my concern with running Waterfox is that MBAE will not shield it like it does ff also KIS extensions will not install into waterfox

i like this from opera:
More light than chrome
More fast than others (in my computer)
Better Flash (i hate flash -.-') compatibility

I dislike this:
No bookmark (current in beta or alpha)
No sync (current in beta or alpha)
No password encryption (opera 12 can encrypt passwords under master password)
No html5 video (current in beta or alpha).

I hate other browsers because they miss this option:

tab bar's top spacing. (this option disabled).

sTH4sArI-opdis.png

I love the tab bar's top spacing.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
When opera 25 is going to be stable, everything except the password encryption will be availble

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Try using the alternative firefox browsers as they tend to update more often than chrome alternatives that never or rarely update.

The only chrome alternative people should be using is opera because they always update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.