Like what I see so far - do I need MBAM Realtime as well?

Avira AntivirusPro + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro Realtime or Just Avira?

• Avira Antivirus + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Avira Antivirus

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Don't know

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Hi, I am currently testing Avira Antivirus. Installed the free version last night, and liked it enough to join the Avira beta test this morning and am now running Avira Antivirus Pro (beta) with a 3 month beta license.

My question is, should I run Malwarebytes Antimalware Pro alongside Avira Antivirus Pro for real-time protection, or is Avira Antivirus sufficient with on demand scans by MBAM Pro and other second opinion scanners?

I am running Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free as well as I hear Avira might not be great at zero day threats?

Reactions: tonibalas

kowalski215

Level 2
Verified
Mar 16, 2015
Funnily enugh I end up answering your question. I'd go just with Avira as real-time protection leaving MBAM as an on-demand scanner.
What about using HitmanPro Alert! ?
Avira is not bad in 0-day as far as I'm concerned (or at least, still better than others)-

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I tried hitmanpro.alert trial and it seemed very thorough. I just sort of felt like it was overkill and went back to Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free. It also popped up some what I take to be false positives about DEP attacks happening whenever I opened Firefox in Win7. As soon as I upgraded to Win 10 the alerts went away... I didn't change Firefox at all. I imagine it was just a hardware thing under Win7.

I am kind of fussy, false positives upset me greatly and I spend a lot of time trying to figure out if they are real or not. That's why I went back to Malwarebytes atm. I think Hitmanpro.alert is a superior product, but it might just need some time to mature.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Avira actually seems quite speedy to me. Been keeping an eye on what it's doing with Process Lasso Pro (one of my fave products) and the real time protection components (I have them all enabled atm for testing) are quite light on resources. No noticable slowdown of web browsing and the like so far.

For comparison purposes, AdguardSvc.exe hogs far more resources, haha.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I would go with Avira alone but if you are worried about 0 day protection you can install Comodo Firewall.
It's sandbox will come in handy stopping malware;)

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I would go with Avira + Malwarebytes Anti Exploit + Open DNS + uBlock; very light and powerful combo imo (and free).

Nice, Open DNS is my secondary DNS server, but only because it's twice as slow for me vs a local independant DNS server (Radiant Radiant.net DNS Lookup | Nameserver Lookup - Who.is - Who.is). My ISP provider's DNS server is horrible, slow and down half the time. I use GRC's DNSBench GRC's | DNS Nameserver Performance Benchmark   for testing. I would 100% use OpenDNS as my primary but they have no Canadian servers and the nearest US is only my ninth fastest reliable DNS server, so it's my fallback for quality =)

uBlock I love (origin branch) but I grabbed some very cheap lifetime licenses for Adguard for Windows, which seems like a good solid product, but I can see it does add a little overhead to the system as a whole when a browser is active. The integration mode gained by using the plugin in the browser as well is super-nice.

Do you recommend MBAE Free or Pro? Pro didn't seem to have much to offer me, as I use Libre Office instead of MS Office and so on.

Reactions: kowalski215

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I would go with Avira alone but if you are worried about 0 day protection you can install Comodo Firewall.
It's sandbox will come in handy stopping malware;)

I used to use Comodo Firewall years and years ago and it was a solid product then. I ended up choosing Tiny Personal Firewall over it at the time, but that one sort of went to hell when Kerio bought them out. By then folks said the default windows firewalls were pretty much all you needed at a basic level so I just stuck with them + strong av/strong anti-MW.

I should really look at Comodo again, I see lots of folks here swear by it. I just honestly am not looking for a lot of complexity with a firewall. I want it to be more of a set and forget thing which is why I am just using the windows one atm. I am sure Comodo is user friendly? I am just not a control freak, I like things to just work and not bother me hehe.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well as MBAM realtime components supplement from latest threats ahead then that combination may provide bypass, so likely you may add a companion base like SecureAplus (includes Whitelisting).

But... for straightforward configuration Avira follow by MBAE is enough, you may survey yourself on what's your risk level.

Kantry123

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
MBAM Realtime has lot of FP's and i don't prefer it running realtime as it loads almost 27 Processes and SLOWS down BOOT and COMPUTER

AVIRA has also lot of FP's but MBAM i would recommend only for On-DEMAND SCANNING

regards

Reactions: Hangtooth

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
AvIRA is enough. But if you're too concerned about 0-day protection and exploits, VoodooShield Free version could help a lot.

I am now on Webroot and VoodooShield - very light yet effective.

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
now I use Avire Free + Premium Mbam as a scanner, and MBAE free and Zemana Anti Malware and do not have any problems viewing pages, or Ram.

Last edited:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I'd definitely go for the Avira Antivirus + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium, since it's a potential choice.
MbAM is a lightweight (for me, at least), powerful extra layer of security that complements any security product beautifully.
I'm currently running COMODO Internet Security Premium plus Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and for me, it is the perfect combination.
MbAM goes with everything - I highly recommend it. :p

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I agree with using MBAM together with your Avira, it's an extra layer of protection and it's not heavy on my system for me. I disabled the website protection because it was causing some issues for my internet connection, but so far using it I have no noticed any slow downs in browsing or start up.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Thanks, all good suggestions, voodooshield/secureaplus does keep coming up in recommendations and I have been checking out their websites and reviews. MBAM realtime I am torn about, I ran it with Eset and MSE in the past but I still can't decide if I need the realtime proection and if it's worth the small overhead. Am trying to keep things zippy and light. I am still pleasantly surprised at how light the Avira realtime components are - sure the on demand scans take ages, but they are thorough.

As for Avira FPs, not one yet, which is nice after Webroot, hehe.

Not a fan of the avira launcher at all though, free or paid. They seem hellbent on forcing it on users though. I'd hate to stop using it because I hate the moronic launcher. I have determined that if you ever get the launcher via install or update:

Do a full uninstall/cleaning including reg cleaning with the avira manual uninstall tool Instructions for manual uninstallation and then reinstall of the AV only from Download Avira Free Antivirus | Official Website - pick the antivirus download and not the launcher download.

There's also a fix if you just want to disable/remove the launcher startup entry:

"I couldn't uninstall Avira Launcher (the proper way, anyway; of course I could have done it manually). But I found an easy workaround: Simply disable/delete the "Avira SystrayStartTrigger" value under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run". Now I have only the proper, sensible avgnt.exe tray icon."

Source: Avira Answers

Last edited:

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Funnily enugh I end up answering your question. I'd go just with Avira as real-time protection leaving MBAM as an on-demand scanner.
What about using HitmanPro Alert! ?
Avira is not bad in 0-day as far as I'm concerned (or at least, still better than others)-

Added: HitmanPro.alert trial with 22days left
Removed: MBAE Free

You're right, time to see how Avira AV and HMP.A coexist while I can still test for free

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
MBAM Realtime has lot of FP's and i don't prefer it running realtime as it loads almost 27 Processes and SLOWS down BOOT and COMPUTER

Good point, I haven't noticed that much overhead, but I *am* trying to get the lightest/safest combo, so I have MBAM just on demand atm. Am just trying Avira + HitmanPro.Alert today as i still have 22 days left on a trial license.

Does HMPA have more or less system overhead than MBAM Pro? The system has been amazingly fast with just Avira + MBAE Free so far, hopefully HMPA won't be more of a drag. I'd pay for it so long as it does not give me FPs and doesn't slow things down unnecessarily.

Last edited:

Kantry123

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Good point, I haven't noticed that much overhead, but I *am* trying to get the lightest/safest combo, so I have MBAM just on demand atm. Am just trying Avira + HitmanPro.Alert today as i still have 22 days left on a trial license.

Does HMPA have more or less system overhead than MBAM Pro? The system has been amazingly fast with just Avira + MBAE Free so far, hopefully HMPA won't be more of a drag. I'd pay for it so long as it does not give me FPs and doesn't slow things down unnecessarily.
Avira + HMPA is a good combination

Why are u comparing HMPA to MBAM PRO they both are two saperate piece of softwares who are finely sculptured to different tasks..HMPA won't actually give a real time protection for vruses, it just ALerts people if there's an ATTACK intercepted or not

I'm currently using MBAE but if u want to buy go ahead and buy HMPA!!

ALSO If u buy HMPA i guess the License will also work with Hitman Pro too..and HMPA has Exploit Blocker so i guess HMPA is worth a piece!!

hope you will come to a conclusion and I guess now its almost Christmas u may get software discounts ...so Happy Buying

regards
kantry123

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Sorry my comparison of MBAM to HitmanPro.Alert was in terms of resources used (CPU + memory) and performance impact (possible lag caused), not actual function. I am trying to only run the best of the best in real-time!

And yes, really liking HitmanPro.Alert + Avira Pro atm for real-time protection! Hoping for an Xmas discount for HMPA before my trial runs out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.