LineageOS first impressions

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
Installed last week LineageOS for my old OnePlus 2 device, because I had nothing to-do and I am not using it anymore.
I always wanted to try LineageOS, but was too afraid to brick my phone.

Well, installation process is not super easy and it will take some time. Took me probably 1 hour to make it happen and I did one small mistake during install, so I had to do it again.

To keep it short, I just love it. It works super well. Here is my small list with best changes:

1. Instead of Android 6 I have now Android 9
2. Minimum amount of Google Apps. I have only Google, PlayStore and Maps. That's it.
3. I have black theme, meanwhile I still have to use EMUI 9 on my Huawei device with light theme, because EMUI 10 maybe will arrive in May.
4. It is faster and lighter than official Oxygen image from OnePlus

Do you still have old device? Check Lineage website, if they have support for your model and try it! For now I will use it as a backup phone.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

1. Instead of Android 6 I have now Android 9
Don't fall in false sense of Security. Your device is still vulnerable to all firmware attacks since the last firmware update (from OnePlus). Last firmware update is from October 29, 2017 !

LineageOS only provide latest Android security updates, not firmware updates which are the other - and mostly even more, important side.

Also remember that you're device now have a unlocked Bootloader which mean that every guy who steal your phone, can do anything with it. Even if your data are encrypted.
Also your phone now miss important security features like Verified Boot.

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
Don't fall in false sense of Security. Your device is still vulnerable to all firmware attacks since the last firmware update (from OnePlus). Last firmware update is from October 29, 2017 !

LineageOS only provide latest Android security updates, not firmware updates which are the other - and mostly even more, important side.

Also remember that you're device now have a unlocked Bootloader which mean that every guy who steal your phone, can do anything with it. Even if your data are encrypted.
Also your phone now miss important security features like Verified Boot.
None of this matters, since this is a backup phone with gmail account, which I am not using and there is nothing personal on the phone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.