Not open for further replies.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
After months of testing the first stable release of Ubuntu-based Linux distro Deepin (previously known as ‘Linux Deepin’) is now available for download.

Deepin 2014, based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, doesn’t use GNOME Shell, Unity or Cinnamon as its desktop environment but a custom shell written in HTML5 and Go. The result is a desktop that is responsive, relatively resource friendly (excusing the Compiz dependency) and highly distinctive.

The Deepin Desktop Environment 2.0 adds some notable new features including hot corner settings and the ability to uninstall software directly from the application launcher.

The Deepin Control Centre is another headline feature. It puts system settings into a new desktop panel accessible from the right-hand side of the screen and features improved modules for configuring display, network and theme management.

The OS is famed for more than forging its own direction. The 30+ strong team of developers also maintain a varied set of desktop applications. In Deepin 2014 these have all been updated to their latest and greatest versions.

Of particular note is the fantastic Software Centre, which puts Ubuntu’s own offering to shame, while the music and video player apps excel at being user friendly and the Games Centre makes finding free, fun programmes easier than Mario Kart SNES on 50cc.

Download and Install Deepin 2014
Want to try it? Deepin 2014 is a free download and should (no promises, mind) work on any hardware Ubuntu does. It also supports installation on dual-BIOS and UEFI/Secure Boot devices. If you’re thinking of using it in a virtual machine you may want to have a rethink: the use of Compiz means performance is subpar.

0Pzdg6E.jpg

0LJT6SO.jpg

cyaiamd.jpg

Source: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/07/deepin-2014-final-released-available-download

I don't use this Distro myself I just thought I'd share it for those who may be interested.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Those dock icons are a bit much for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica
D

Deleted member 178

Tried it already not impressed unlike Kubuntu

Graphical eye candy, one of the best i have seen so far.
Nice job, however the wind mills are a bit to much for my taste.

The windmills are just a wallpaper that can be changed ^^

Reactions: ZeroDay
D

Deleted member 178

just tried it, too simple for me, not enough customizations/tweaks, Kubuntu still leads on this matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.