List of Companion Antiviruses

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Some of you knows i like coupling a main AV with a companion AV.

Companion AVs are Antiviruses that can run alongside another AV without conflicts, procuring an added layer of protection & detection.

In my case, Comodo IS + Emsisoft AM or lately Emsisoft IS + Webroot SA.

So there is a non-exhaustive list of available "companion" AVs:

- Emsisoft Anti-Malware

- Webroot SA

- Kingsoft Antivirus

- Immunet (free) / Cellframe Antivirus

- Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Pro)

- Avast Free (compatibility mode)

- Baidu Antivirus 2015

- Celframe free Antivirus

- SecureAPlus (non-local AV engine)

- Kompass AV

- Absolute AV

feel free to add the ones you may know that are not listed yet

Last edited by a moderator:

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
Your avast! software can now be installed in Compatibility Mode, meaning that it will run perfectly along with your other antivirus software to act as a second line of defense. And even if you install avast! in normal mode, you are given the possibility to install the components you really need.

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php?t=whats_new

Avast, Fortinet, Ad-aware, outpost also gives option to install as a second line of defense

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
i forgot about Avast compatibility mode.

VectorFool

Verified
Dec 17, 2012
Thanks for this thread, i never knew Avast Free had a compatibility Mode.
Added it on my setup :)

P

Plexx

Thread author
rebel4life said:
Umbra or Biozfear any good free AV that can go along with BIS 2013

EAM for best results, despite it uses BD Engine. Reason being in case of infections that BIS can hardly move (their detection rate is high but scan speed = snail and their removal capabilities are ranked in middle at best).

EAM is paid tho but you can get it from giveaways.

If strictly free, you have Kingsoft and Immunet.

Kingsoft (non avira version) is light in resources compared to avira version (the one that contains all signatures/database).

Immunet Free uses its real time protection as long as you are online. If you are offline, you will need to enable ClamAV engine in the settings to have it offline protection/scanning.

ClamAV is considered by most subpar to other free alternatives but for average user, even Immunet is fine.

Give a spin at KsAV and Immunet. Nothing to loose.

PS: Celframe ain't bad either, but not that well known.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
VectorFool said:

but if my memory is good, you will loose the realtime AV engine aka "File Shield"

VectorFool

Verified
Dec 17, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
VectorFool said:

but if my memory is good, you will loose the realtime AV engine aka "File Shield"

I have Avira Premium Antivirus on my Real Time
and use Shadow Defender on my C:\ drive, so i won't miss the real time module of Avast

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
VectorFool said:
I have Avira Premium Antivirus on my Real Time
and use Shadow Defender on my C:\ drive, so i won't miss the real time module of Avast

ok, good combo ;)

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Could someone please update this thread by mentioning any other Companion Antiviruses available right now? Thank you

Edited: Baidu Antivirus 2015 is another Companion Antiviruses :)

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
You can add SecureAPlus if installed without the Offline AV it can function as a companion.

Reactions: Koroke San

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.