Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For a refreshed Chrome UI try these 2 flags

UI Layout for the browser's top chrome #top-chrome-md
Toggles between
  1. Normal - for clamshell devices
  2. Hybrid (previously touch) - middle point for devices with a touch screen
  3. Touchable - new unified interface for touch and convertibles (Chrome OS)
  4. Material Design refresh
  5. Touchable Material Design refresh.
– Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS

Material Design in the rest of the browser's native UI #secondary-ui-md
Extends the --top-chrome-md setting to secondary UI (bubbles, dialogs, etc.). On Mac, this enables MacViews, which uses toolkit-views for native browser dialogs. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS

Windows 10 + Chrome Canary v68 - Set UI Layout as Touchable
1526853866805.png

Windows 10 + Chrome Canary v68 - Set UI Layout as Refresh
1526854032959.png

Windows 10 + Chrome Canary v68 - Set UI Layout as Touchable Refresh
1526854357412.png

(based on source)

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Reverting these settings.. to Default.
Chrome 67 also features other new technologies to help users do more with the browser. That includes added support for Generic Sensor API, with which users can now pair Chrome with sensors from external hardware like VR headsets.
Source

Reset to Default settings for
  • Generic Sensor #enable-generic-sensor
  • Generic Sensor Extra Classes #enable-generic-sensor-extra-classes
Set to Touchable
UI Layout for the browser's top chrome #top-chrome-md

1527951298778.png

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Now Chrome blocks (nou user initiated iframe) redirects, the risk of third-party on Windows10 (with AppContainer) is further reduced. Now tweakers seem to loose another favourite optimization hobby (called what blocklist filters do you use). On my wife's Yoga 520 I use below settings for chrome and have AdGuard with optimized blocklists. No need for micro management third-party blockers any more IMO, when you only allow HTTPS from certain high level domains (Note: HTTPS is called secure, but that only applies on transmission protocol, not on the website itself, a HTTPS website can still be used to host malware). I only keep an eye on @Evjl's Rain tests on extensions (his tests show that with MBAM, WD or Comodo extensions all malware filters in ad/script blockers are just a waist of memory and CPU cycles).

Update of flags I use (, plus high level domain blocks of cookies and javascript. When cookie or javascript is blocked the cookie or javascript icon appears in the address bar. Click on it and you can define exceptions. Ii enable com,net,org,inf and net by default plus websites with high level domain NL (netherlands as showed in javascript example on the right).

The chrome semantic is
HTTP://*
HTTPS://*
FILE:///*

This can be combined with high level domain wildcards like
[*.]com
[*.]org
[*.]gov
[*.]edu
etc

Example of combination would be
HTTPS://[*.]inf

1532618351896.png

1532622812961.png

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@bjm_ Try setting to Touchable instead of Refresh to retain classic feel.

Also set chrome://flags/#windows10-custom-titlebar as Enabled

Reactions: Jack

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
@bjm_ Try setting to Touchable instead of Refresh to retain classic feel.
Also set chrome://flags/#windows10-custom-titlebar as Enabled
Appreciate your interest. I've warmed up to Hybrid, for now. I wasn't liking Refresh left side + and Touchable feels over-sized.
Regards w Respect

Reactions: Ink

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Since there isnt real thread about this i decided to make one. The idea is to post your configs / tweaks and explain why youre using them. Like there were same kind of discussion about extensions

flag1.png

flags2.png

Smooth scrolling , new media controls disabled since i like old ones more
Strict site isolation - some chrome alternative browsers use this, i dont know is there huge benefit off from it but ..
Fontcache scale - Stability?
New ui is nice even on desktop - for blind guy like me
GPU render over cpu on all cases, since my cpu is kinda bottleneck compared to my GPU

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
AppContainer.jpg

If you go to chrome://flags and search for "lockdown" you will find two entries called "Enable AppContainer Lockdown" and "Enable GPU AppContainer Lockdown".
If you enable them, Google Chrome will use the Windows AppContainers in addition to Google Chrome's built-in security methods

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
aren't they enabled by default? do they break things or cause major slowdown?
Some do, but sometimes disabling is also option. Just find ones that suit for you/ system you have. You can always revert changes if you run into problems. These tweaks may be noticeable for low-end systems but if youre using current tech, there shouldnt be huge problems running any browser anyways. I just prefer rendering everything throught my GPU than cpu

Reactions: tsunami

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Since there isnt real thread about this i decided to make one. The idea is to post your configs / tweaks and explain why youre using them. Like there were same kind of discussion about extensions
Most of them have been posted in this thread.

Merged with Q&A - List of interesting Experimental Flags for Google Chrome

aren't they enabled by default? do they break things or cause major slowdown?
There's always a risk. Enabling too many can cause problems or break the browser.

1533723488619.png

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
View attachment 194679

If you go to chrome://flags and search for "lockdown" you will find two entries called "Enable AppContainer Lockdown" and "Enable GPU AppContainer Lockdown".
If you enable them, Google Chrome will use the Windows AppContainers in addition to Google Chrome's built-in security methods
I used to have AppContainer Lockdown enabled. But I noticed that when you enable it, my AV (Emsisoft) can no longer monitor it. The app container seems to kick out anything that is not part of Chrome. No hooks allowed.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I used to have AppContainer Lockdown enabled. But I noticed that when you enable it, my AV (Emsisoft) can no longer monitor it. The app container seems to kick out anything that is not part of Chrome. No hooks allowed.
Which is not bad ;)
I use K9 web protection and it's working with appcontainer lockdown

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Chrome blocks (not user initiated iframe) redirects, the risk of third-party on Windows10 (with AppContainer) is further reduced. Now tweakers seem to loose another favourite optimization hobby what blocklist filters do you use?.

Found one to demonstrate

1534445427160.png

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Under chrome://gpu I noticed a few new entries. Does anyone know how to enable Skia renderer?
Skia.PNG

I already tried to use
--use-skia-renderer
--use-skia-deferred-display-list

without success

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.