Guide | How To List of Uninstallers and Removal Tools for Antivirus Software

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Uninstalling antivirus software on a computer system is sometimes not a easy task as they tend to add their components deep into the system to provide protection from various threats PC users face these days. The need for antivirus software removal tools arises if the default uninstallation fails. This usually leads to a messed up computer system that could throw all kinds of errors at the user. It could also break other antivirus software either during installation or usage.

Note : Uninstalling an antivirus or any other program should always be done through "Add/Remove Programs" or by using a free third party uninstaller like Revo Uninstaller.
Only use the below methods if the "Add/Remove Programs" method fails.

List of Uninstallers or Removal Tools for Antivirus Software :

AVG Products
Avast Products
Avira Products
BitDefender Products
F-Secure Products
Kaspersky Products
BullGuard Products
McAfee Products
ESET Products
Norton/Symantec Products
Panda Products
G-Data Products
Trend Micro Products
Lavasoft Products
Sophos Products
Webroot Products
Microsoft Security Essentials
Zone Alarm Products
Vipre Products
DrWeb Products

D

Deleted member 178

there the comodo (unofficial) removal tool:

Link to the thread: https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/uninstaller-tool-for-comodo-products-t71897.0.html#post_id4
Download link: https://sites.google.com/site/jacobcprt/Setup.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

old batch cleaning tool file thread : http://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/cleanup-tool-for-comodo-internet-security-old-t36499.0.html

as i said they are unofficial since Comodo never released any removal tools, i used them many times without issues.

Reactions: Moose

whizkidraj

Level 8
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Thank you Jack sir for the uninstaller links. I also have a link for list of all Antivirus Uninstallers
http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146

Hope this helps too :)

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014
lol, i never used one of these AV Uninstaller, for me Total Uninstall Pro is enough :p

anyway, thanks for sharing this !

John99

Jul 18, 2014
I note the frequently recommended adwcleaner or 2-adwcleaner is not included in this list.

Possibly is that outside the scope of this list?
If so maybe a sub list or separate list of other frequently recommended tools would be useful.
I also noted a recommendation (e.g.) for use of JUNKWARE REMOVAL TOOL JRT.exe in the same thread.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I note the frequently recommended adwcleaner or 2-adwcleaner is not included in this list.

Possibly is that outside the scope of this list?
If so maybe a sub list or separate list of other frequently recommended tools would be useful.
I also noted a recommendation (e.g.) for use of JUNKWARE REMOVAL TOOL JRT.exe in the same thread.

Yup, we are talking of Uninstallers here and not removal tools

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I usually use Add / Remove Programs and then delete the temp files and reg then check the app data, I would like to know the correct steps of you as an expert @Jack when using the Add / Remove Programs? please

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Thank you but why you suggest to uninstall using add/ remove program ( Windows build in ) ?
MS ( at least in Italy ) always suggest to uninstall with AV removal tool, otherwise there would be leftovers ( and I think still there would be) .

Reactions: Venustus

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Thank you but why you suggest to uninstall using add/ remove program ( Windows build in ) ?
MS ( at least in Italy ) always suggest to uninstall with AV removal tool, otherwise there would be leftovers ( and I think still there would be) .
I've experience with McAfee and, to remove McAfee software completely from your PC, first you have to use Window's built-in system and then their Unistall Tool.

McAfee Removal Tool - McAfee Uninstaller

I think, in general it is better first to use Windows built-in add/remove tool that should retrieve the specific uninstaller from the folder of the antivirus you want to uninstall and, if it doesn't work you can use the official Unistall Tool or Revo Uninstaller.

Reactions: Venustus

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
I always supposed that you you use Windows , then the removal tool can't find any AV to remove

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.