Browser Add-on LocalCDN and Decentraleyes are both dead on Firefox

SecurityNightmares

Level 37
Verified
Jan 9, 2020

Will you switch to Chromium based browser?

Last edited by a moderator:

SecureKongo

Level 21
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 25, 2017
You know what, me too.
But not so these community's and their user as they trust these "experts".
People using multiple addons against tracking either don't know that this only causes problems or they think that extensions are a smaller privacy risk than big companies just as Facebook or Google. Privacy extensions are from a time where browsers barely had any tracking protection by default and some people still seem to be stuck in that time. The only "privacy" or security extension you actually need might be an adblocker, and even that isn't necessary if you are using NextDNS and don't care about ads on Youtube or cosmetic filtering. I have to admit that I only installed Decentraleyes / LocalCDN cause quite a few people use it here and recommended it in some posts.

rain2reign

Level 5
Jun 21, 2020
I did dabble a bit in both extensions, just for the hell of it. The way I understood it was that it would intercept a specific type of CDN (fonts, icons, emoji's etc...) and frameworks. And then replace it with the locally available counterpart on your client (in the addon's local resources). Little do these "experts" realize... and it's stated on both source code documentations that, when not available it will default to fetching it online again, instead of outright blocking. Not going to begin arguing the "usefulness" of said addon, since it doesn't have any for it's intended purpose of privacy... well other than having the badge of the mad max road warrior.

I do have it (LocalCDN) installed to my shame, but that's more cause of it's log feature. I was curious as to how many times I connected to a CDN and corresponding framework(s). It had this quite nice interface for it, showed you exactly which framework, cdn etc was connected to (read "intercepted" [insert dogeface]) according to my habits. But there are tons of others that do that too... Now I can finally say goodbye, and tell people to get off my digital lawn. 👴

Most of these places --communities-- think google tracks them through their font icon cdn frameworks...
Side-note: Google is smarter than that, I know you're reading this.

And poof you got a magic silver bullet in the eyes of the well more "zealous" of privacy warriors that also recommend you a hundred tweaks and a thousand addons. Times change, but... try explaining that to a certain known community and have them accept that on top of it.

Nonetheless, with stricter policies coming in from Mozilla. I do find it a shame on the other hand for the developers whom put their heart and soul in their projects. What I do find mind-boggling is though, that DecentralEyes has the recommended badge on AMO and actually isn't maintained for a year now, even though a random tiny update came in last November and that was only to add 4 languages.... It still managed to pass the new policies...

SecureKongo

Level 21
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 25, 2017
Looks like it got updated again.