Lockscreen Ads showing on all Huawei phones (Update: Ads Removed by Huawei)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As per several reddit discussions, the ads seem to be powered by Magazine Unlock, a feature available on Huawei phones that automatically replaces the lock screen wallpaper after each unlock. But instead of setting a new lock screen background, Magazine Unlock sometime displays an ad for hotel reservation website booking.com.

Neither Huawei nor Booking offered any comments on this ad push, albeit the official account of Huawei Germany released an apology and recommended users who want to block the ads to disable Magazine Unlock.

Hello Tim,
I'm sorry that you think we want to advertise. You can deactivate the magazine at any time. Just wipe it from bottom to top and click on the gearwheel symbol.
Best regards, Tolga from HUAWEI Mobile

Source: Huawei Puts Ads on Lock Screens Because It Doesn’t Already Have Enough Problems

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
UPDATE: Missed this earlier.. Huawei took the Ads down.

Huawei reached out to confirm that these lockscreen wallpapers have been removed from its servers and they should no longer be visible to users. However, since some of these wallpapers may be downloaded on users’ devices, they will have to be removed manually. To get rid of these Booking.com wallpapers from the Magazine feature, follow these steps:
  1. When the wallpaper shows up on the lock screen, swipe up from the bottom to reveal the “operations” toolbar.
  2. Tap on the cross-shaped button and then on “Remove” in the dialog box that pops up.
The company, however, did not clarify if these were uploaded intentionally or by mistake.

If you follow the steps above, you need not need to disable the Lock Screen Magazine option. In case you still see them, let us know.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
No, not on all Huawei phones as mine never got this. Simply because I never used the Magazine Lock Screen feature. Never been interested even try. It's even been off by default since I got the phone.

In general see or watch ads is a bit too common, especially in apps. In this case Huawei even removed the ads in yes a built-in wallpaper feature. I wonder how many other vendors/companies or developers would do the same because users got pissed on ads. This is just a storm in a water glass IMO.

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Your phone never came with Magazine app installed?
Yes, didn't I say so? What I know it's installed on most Huawei phones but if one actually don't " use " the feature, one can't get the ads. One is even forced to click a Enable button to start the feature and thats the default setting on my phone anyway.

Reactions: Vasudev and roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.