Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Late December... It's time to once again look back and recall everything that has happened to AdGuard this year. I think I wouldn't be lying if I said that 2020 was anything but normal for all of us. The more surprising was it to realize that we, in fact, managed to achieve quite a lot despite the pandemic, self-isolation, and all the problems that are associated with them. Not least thanks to you, as in "you, the community". All of you were nothing less than amazing this year. We felt so much support, more than ever before! So I'm saying on behalf of all of the AdGuard employees: thank you! I'll have to say more about it further down the article, but let's start our journey to the past with a different (but still related!) topic. Of, course, it's AdGuard VPN.
Topics covered in this big blog post:
AdGuard VPN
AdGuard DNS
macOS Big Sur and related issues
Major updates for AdGuard iOS apps
Other major releases
AdGuard Home
A series of in-depth overviews
Must-read articles
Apple's efforts at increasing privacy
Manifest V3
AdGuard and you
Wow, this turned out to be a long article about a long year. Let's hope that 2021 will leave just as many memories, but only for the good reasons! Happy New Year, and I'll see you in 2021!
Read the full blog post here:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Manifest V3

If you're a regular reader of our blog, you've heard this word before. Manifest V3 is a large set of measures and changes to Chrome that will get implemented soon and radically shift the browser's approach to users' security and privacy. It is one of the hottest topics in the ad blocking community right now, which is proved, for example, by the key role Manifest V3 and its discussion had at the Ad Blocker Dev Summit 2020 (held online this year).

The popular opinion among the ad blocker community members is that Google takes away the important functionality without giving much in return. The changes hardly help on the matter of privacy. Manifest V3 went through a lot of iterations, and there's a clear trend towards the restriction of what browser extensions can get access to. Content blockers are among the first to suffer from this, as they naturally need more access than most of other extensions. The situation is not made more clear by the lack of communication from Google, who's being functionally mute on the matter.

The next year will be decisive in many ways, as it will show more clearly the direction Google developers want to take with Manifest. Hopefully, they will listen to what ad blocking community has to say at least a little bit. One way or another, big changes are coming, and they are coming very soon.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If Adguard can do something like uBO below I would have ditched the latter since now I have Adguard for Desktop

1609420262720.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
If Adguard can do something like uBO below I would have ditched the latter since now I have Adguard for Desktop
The question is still the same, we don't know how exactly will be restrictions for content blockers like uBO on chromium-based browsers.
Of course, browser vendors like Brave and Vivaldi said will never following "Manifest V3" but that was just once said in the past, we will see...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.