Battle Looking for (cruel) Comodo Firewall alternative

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
Today I was locked out from internet, after Windows told me that my network cables were broken; I almost spent € 20,00 on new cables when I searchev on the web and found similar issues from other people running ComodoFirewall. I tried disabling the HIPS and the firewall whole, then I disabled and then uninstalled the network driver.

I think I'm now ready to move from the CruelComodo hype and find some alternative. My current situation has Emsisoft, OSA and SH. I'm missing the HIPs and Firewall componets if I'm right, what is a reliable alternative (paid or free) to the most decanted CruelComodo?

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
You might,try Eset Internet security{e-bay} discount price,way lighter than Emsisoft,really nice firewall,and with your OSA and SH really solid,I also have had some bad experiences with Comodo Firewall,hopefully one day Cruel sister will return

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
take a look at voodooshield
+1
It's the closest thing there is to no-headache, install-and-forget advanced security.

I know i sound awfully noobish, why not sticking with just Windows firewall ?
Not noobish at all. Windows firewall does the job. If users want more control, there is Binisoft firewall control, but it's not necessary. Why? Because firewall protection is usually too little, too late. You need to nip malware in the bud, and that can be done by anti-exe, which voodooshield is very good at. But firewall protection is easily bypassed by advanced malware. If you need firewall protection, it means you already have malware RUNNING on your system. That's not good. Nip it in the bud.

Also HIPS is not necessary, if you have anti-exe or software restriction policy.

ebocious

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
HIPS is disabled in Cruel Comodo, isn't it?

Update: she disables HIPS at 2:26.

Personally, I have AppGuard one one machine, and Cruel Comodo on all the rest (except the Macs). And one thing I'm doing that CS didn't: I untick ALL the checkboxes on the User Interface screen under General Settings. No alert fatigue, and everything seems to work fine. When I want to install something, I disable auto containment for 15 minutes from the notification area.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
A good alternative to Comodo Firewall could be Comodo Antivirus if properly set :)
  • General settings --> Configuration --> Enabled Proactive Security
  • Containment --> Auto-containment --> Block unknown

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
SimpleWall, Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control or Windows 10 Firewall Control (Sphinxsoft).
All equivalent to CruelComodo?

It's the closest thing there is to no-headache, install-and-forget advanced security.
Is it compatible with Emsisoft, OSA and SH?

A good alternative to Comodo Firewall could be Comodo Antivirus if properly set
I'm running Emsisoft already.

Reactions: AtlBo and show-Zi

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Is it compatible with Emsisoft, OSA and SH?
Voodooshield is compatible with Emsisoft and with almost every other antivirus. You really don't need OSArmor if you have Voodooshield, but you can add OSA to it, if you wish. SysHardener is just a tweaking tool, it does not have compatibility issues.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Should I remove OSA before installing VS and then add it again after? By VS are we talking of the free or paid version?
You don't need to remove OSA, you can install VS on top of it. But depending on your settings in OSA, it might be a good idea to disable OSA during the installation of VS.

VS free and paid is the same protection. But the free version does not allow tweaking. Default protection is strong, so in most cases, you do not need to tweak. If you moved certain user space folders, such as Downloads or Documents, to a custom location, VS will not protect them when it toggles off. You can fix that in the paid version but not in the free version. Also, you can add to the list of vulnerable apps in the paid version. But most common apps that are exploitable are already on the list.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Emsisoft Anti-Malware + Windows Defender Firewall
How to Use:
Learn more: Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security (Windows 10)

Side note: You can learn how to do this yourself with the guides above.

Edit: Not an exact alternative to Comodo Firewall (HIPS, Containment, Whitelisting), but does help increase knowledge around Windows OS without solely relying on third-party software to hand feed you.

Last edited:

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
Not an exact alternative to Comodo Firewall (HIPS, Containment, Whitelisting)
What would be a more similar protection other than VS? I talked to Emsisoft support and confirmed that sometimes it is not compatible with ComodoFirewall, it may also depend on the system.

Reactions: Dave Russo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.