Lotus 123 v9.5 giving "File is Corrupt" when trying to save

Status
Not open for further replies.

artemusmanos

Thread author
Jul 18, 2015
One of our Lotus 1-2-3 v9.5 users running Windows 98 is getting a "File is Corrupt" error when trying to save to our network server running Windows 2000 Server. However, after the user gets that message and clicks "Ok" to get out of that dialog box, she can use the "Save As..." file option and save the file to her local hard drive. From there, she can move it back to the server. Things work, but in a very tedious process. At times, the user will not get the error, and it will save directly to the network server. The rest of the user's department doesn't seem to be having similar problems.

We did think that it could be a network problem, however, the user never has problems getting disconnected from our Novell Groupwise email server, or when accessing Excel, Word, Access, other files etc. It seems like Lotus is the only program that the machine is having trouble with.

Could it be that either something causes 123 to close it's network connection, 123 running on Win98 does not for some reason like the connection to the Win2k server? Can anyone suggest some sort of network/NIC analyzer software (prefer GNUish/Freeish, as this is only 1 client, so large expensive software packages are out of the question) that we could possibly use to see what's going on with the connection from the user's Win98 machine, to the Win2k server while accessing a Lotus 1-2-3 file? As I said before, strange thing is everything else seems to work, the user could leave an excel file open for 3 hours and still be able to save, but a lotus file that's open for 15 minutes won't save from hitting the save button or selecting file->save. If anyone has any other suggestions or questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

devonalbert

Jul 19, 2015
1. Copy the NSF file into a new local location that has Lotus Notes
2. Using the Command prompt go to Lotus Notes home. (i.e. c:\lotus\notes )
3. Run the following commands:
(Enter the user's Notes password if prompted)
3a. nfixup.exe <filename>.nsf
3b. ncompact.exe -c <filename>.nsf
4. Once the file has been fixed and compacted. Rename the original NSF in source (i.e. _backup or _corrupt) to distinguish the corrupt version from the fixed one.
5. Add the fixed NSF to source and process in Clearwell as needed.

6. Also there is one more methods to get back .nsf file via https://www.repairtoolbox.com/lotusnotesrepair.html Lotus Notes Repair Toolbox

Reactions: artemusmanos
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.