Low Spec PC (2 GB RAM/ CPU Intel B950) Which antivirus should I install?

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Hi All,

Need one suggestion. I have a laptop with low end configuration. I tried all AV like BD, Avast, Avira, eset etc. All of these make my system slow. I was using Panda cloud antivirus but I feel this is not safe since I feel after using panda cloud my system was affected. Is there any other AV that uses only cloud with minimal system impact for my slow system?

System config.jpg

Hi All,

Need one suggestion. I have a laptop with low end configuration. I tried all AV like BD, Avast, Avira, eset etc. All of these make my system slow. I was using Panda cloud antivirus but I feel this is not safe since I feel after using panda cloud my system was affected. Is there any other AV that uses only cloud with minimal system impact for my slow system?

View attachment 203495

What OS - 7 or XP ?

If it's XP, then that's a big reason for the problems.

SpyShelter Firewall will work very well with those system specs. However, it is a product that you must put forth the effort to learn. It isn't going to tell you what to do or do it for you.

Anyway, to answer your question, there are no AV that won't impact your system. Someone is going to mention Cylance or Webroot. Webroot is worth a try if you are desperate for light AV. Both Cylance and Webroot are expensive for what you get, but you don't have many options because of the hardware limitations.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Save the money and buy an SSD and double your RAM. Even if it's a 32bit system just upgrade the RAM. 2 GB will be a struggle to use the Internet. Even a cheap used SSD is miles ahead of a brandnew HDD. Once you do you can have almost any good AV.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
ESET, Panda, Tencent PC Manager and 360 Total Security should all run really well on that processor. You will experience slowdowns due to the lack of RAM, rahher than the CPU. Is it possible to add more RAM?

I am not sure. I am planning to check with a computer Hardware company to see if I can upgrade RAM. I use this only for browsing. But without AV I don't have any problems. I am now trying Hitman pro alert now and as I expected cloud AV is not causing problem. Only when I change to signature based AVs that cause problems.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Save the money and buy an SSD and double your RAM. Even if it's a 32bit system just upgrade the RAM. 2 GB will be a struggle to use the Internet. Even a cheap used SSD is miles ahead of a brandnew HDD. Once you do you can have almost any good AV.

Thanks for your reply but I am not sure what you are asking me to do. Can you pls explain more?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Comodo cloud antivirus in block mode

Otherwise go with cruelsisters comodo firewall, hips gonna bother u probably too much. You may pair comodo firewall with immunet wich is very light. ( just to disable defender)

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I am not sure. I am planning to check with a computer Hardware company to see if I can upgrade RAM. I use this only for browsing. But without AV I don't have any problems. I am now trying Hitman pro alert now and as I expected cloud AV is not causing problem. Only when I change to signature based AVs that cause problems.
You can check crucial.com and see if there's anything you can do. Max out the RAM and get 256/500GB SSD and use existing HDD in a caddy to replace cd drive on laptop. If its a desktop simply disconnect existing HDD before installing windows on SSD and after its done, delete just C: partition of old HDD to reuse it as DATA drive.
Thanks for your reply but I am not sure what you are asking me to do. Can you pls explain more?
Upgrade your laptop specs. If you're just browsing using the PC, you can use Lubuntu 32bit.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
My bad. If you can, try to buy an SSD for your laptop if you can upgrade the drive. Antiviruses will do a lot of read and write processes. A cheap SSD costs around $50 for 120 GB, $80 for 256 GB. It will allow you to use any AV of your choice because there will be less of a performance degradation.

Upgrading to an SSD has made a massive difference in performance for me.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I believe the issue will be due to RAM usage. Open Task Manager and have a look at the memory usage. If it's over 74%, then you are low on RAM. Probably Hitman Pro is using less RAM than other security software, which is why it is working better.

You can download Crucial's System Scanner to see how much RAM your system supports.
Crucial System Scanner | Crucial.com

2GB of RAM is nowhere near enough these days, so if you can add more RAM, I highly recommend doing so. Adding a SSD, which has been suggested, will definitely boost disk performance, but your system will still run slowly if you only have 2GB of RAM.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
AVG free covers all bases and I have found it so light that it was running fine on an old P4 with 500mb of ram.

The only issue is the "Deep Scan" which can result in BSOD`s.:eek:

Regards Eck:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.