lukeyj85 security config

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukeyj85

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 3, 2017
Just curious what people thought of this set up and how secure it is. I am new to being more serious about this and just setting things up properly as my AVG Free did not block behaviours or detect my recent malware. I did have BD Anti-Ransomware but it conflicted with Emsisoft as it has an Anti-Ransomware Protection as well.

Also interested in any recommendations to change to only free software but am aware most do not encompass all areas e.g. I would need an AV, an Anti-Ransomware, perhaps a BB etc. If my options are to pay for Emsisoft or run 4 or more programs to do the same thing I will just pay for a subscription.

Any information on enhancing security through a VPN that is somehow both free and trusted would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Reactions: Daljeet

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
What was your recent malware problem?
Implement some type of system backup solution.Consider backing up important data to an external drive also.
Consider adding an additional on demand scanner(s).
Make sure CCleaner is updated to the most recent version.
Apart from the lack of a system & data backup solution your config is secure.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
I think you should create a system image with a software such as Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper, both have a free and reliable version you could use.:)
Add ondemand scanner like zemana antimalware or Hitman pro.(y)
Update CCleaner to the most recent version.:)

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Your current config looks ok, but you may consider adding more on demand scanner, you have options such as Hitmanpro, Zemana, NPE, AviraCleaner etc.
Regarding your question about free software, I'd say that yes you can get a solid protection for free, but neither free nor paid software going to fully protect anyone who carelessly clicks everything on the web, downloading of suspicious files etc. Most part of being safe online comes down to the user.

You have quite several options for free, either as one package like Avast free which has all of what you mentioned (signatures, anti-ransom, BB, and webshield.).

Or other option can be combining different software like a good signature AV + Anti-exe + firewall.. to mention only one example of this, one can use Kaspersky free + Voodooshield free + Comodo firewall free. And this probably will offer better protection than some paid Internet security suits.

For a free VPN you may take a look at ProtonVPN, you also get a 6 day premium for free.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
If you want to change to free software, you can use Avast Free alone, or Comodo Firewall + MSE/Bitdefender/Kaspersky/Avira Free (one of your choice). As for second opinion scanners, Malware bytes is not as good as it used to be. I would recommend Zemana. And try to make backups. They save your data not only from malware attacks, but also from hardware failures.

Reactions: Daljeet

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@lukeyj85: please kindly consider to add/change Your config with some of the mentioned suggestions:
Implement some type of system backup solution.Consider backing up important data to an external drive also.
Consider adding an additional on demand scanner(s) -> Zemana Free, Norton Power Eraser.
Make sure CCleaner is updated to the most recent version.
I set temporally to Caution the Tag of Your config until They are implemented.
Thanks for sharing Your config! :)

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
There's a few issues here already mentioned, but the most glaring to me is a lack of a backup solution. Recommendation:

Data: Rollback Rx Home (Free)
System: Macrium Reflect (Free)

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Personally, I would like you to add some backup programs to your security list. Like @Exterminator has mentioned in his posting.

What backup programs do I recommend? Aomei Backupper (free) and Macrium Reflect 7.0 (free). Both are great programs and are very reliable.

I would like to see you use some more on-demand scanners. Malwarebytes is great, but I would recommend that you add EEK (free), and Zemana (free).

This has already been mentioned, but please make sure CCleaner is updated to the latest version. CCleaner had some issues with a previous release can be vulnerable. I ended up having to clean out so many computers for end-users that I help out it was nuts.

I'd like for you to look into a great solution called Voodooshield. There is a free version and a paid version. Right now, I'd like for you to look into using the free version of this software. This is highly robust and very great software. I use it on all of the computers for people that I help out.

Another add-on you could use would be NoScript for FireFox. You can read more about it here: NoScript Security Suite

Other than that you have a good config. Please take into consideration what others have said too. Once making these changes your system will be more secure, reliable, and harder to get at.

Sincerely,

Lightning_Brian

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.